Fall 2021 PhD Information Science/CIS/Data Science Applicants

bananamuffins

Here for round 2 and playing the waiting game again.  Thought I'd open this thread for anyone else applying to an IS, CIS, Data Science etc PhD. 

Second application to the Drexel PhD in Information Science, spruced up my resume a bit more to include new stuff I've done over the past year and hoping for the best.  Also applied for the part time option because the full time is very competitive apparently. 

Nervous in solidarity with you all fellow 2021 applicants!! 

8 hours ago, purrr said:

I applied for DS PhD at NYU, DS master at ETHZ and EPFL. So far I've only had a zoom chat with a POI at NYU SH. Pretty anxious and hope I can stop checking the results page ?

Wishing you the best. The waiting is the worst!! So you applied for both PhD and Masters.  Are you completely new to the DS field? Just curious

15 hours ago, bananamuffins said:

Wishing you the best. The waiting is the worst!! So you applied for both PhD and Masters.  Are you completely new to the DS field? Just curious

Thank you, all the best to you as well! I major in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a double major in math. I did research related to machine learning, so I guess I have some experience. I feel like data science is a very interdisciplinary field. For my graduate study I want to combine both theory and application :)

10 hours ago, Banerry said:

Hi people, I also applied to NYU data science PhD but NY campus. I wonder if anyone has heard back or received interviews.

I think I listed NY campus as my second choice and I haven't heard back from them. Judging from last year's stats, it probably takes longer (~Feb) for them to get back. 

What are your thoughts on UIUC?

I applied to UIUC's IS program as well as University of Washington's and Cornell's. On 12/21/20, I got a rejection decision from UW. But I've recently received news of an upcoming interview with UIUC. I've noticed noone else has mentioned it in their application list, so I was wondering if there is some kind of aversion? 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:25 PM, ThreeTrees said:

I applied to UIUC's IS program as well as University of Washington's and Cornell's. On 12/21/20, I got a rejection decision from UW. But I've recently received news of an upcoming interview with UIUC. I've noticed noone else has mentioned it in their application list, so I was wondering if there is some kind of aversion? 

I am not familiar with the UIUC program but that's a good school!!  Good luck with your interview!! Let us know how you go! 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:25 PM, ThreeTrees said:

Did you mean the PhD in Information at iSchool, UIUC? I just received the interview request from them.

Hi Everyone,
I have applied to DS Masters in various universities but just got an acceptance from UPenn till now. Eagerly waiting for results from CMU, UMich, Columbia and ETH. Wouls love to hear if anyone of you has got any notification from these universities. Best of luck to everyone

17 hours ago, CuriousBeing said:

Hi Everyone,
I have applied to DS Masters in various universities but just got an acceptance from UPenn till now. Eagerly waiting for results from CMU, UMich, Columbia and ETH. Wouls love to hear if anyone of you has got any notification from these universities. Best of luck to everyone

Congratulations on your acceptance to the UPenn program. I think most of us here have applied to PhD programs but hopefully someone will come along who's also applied to one of those Masters programs.   

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to all you guys! 

I was told to be waitlisted today fromt the UW Information Science PhD program, and somehow I don't think I have much chance of getting out the list...

I also applied to the UIUC iSchool program, but no updates from them ever since, guess little chance there as well?.

• 1 month later...

Finally got acceptance letter from Drexel for the Information Science PhD. I was sure it was going to be a NO after all this time of waiting since I had heard nothing else. This is my second attempt getting into this program so feeling pretty happy.

Wishing everyone else the best of luck. Don't give up!