UChicago Harris this year vs. reapplying next year

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go to Harris this year, or reapply to programs next year?

• Harris this year
    • Reapply

Please help -- I have to make a decision regarding graduate programs and am a horribly indecisive decisionmaker, so I'd really appreciate any insight or advice everyone may have.

My options are basically: (1) Accept a full scholarship at the MPP program at UChicago Harris School this year or (2) Re-apply to the MPP/MPA programs at HKS, WWS, and (possibly) Gtown MSFS next year.

I applied to 11 programs this year, and was rejected only by HKS and WWS. The offer of full funding at Harris was the strongest I received, though I did receive offers of almost-full funding at several other programs. I did not apply to Gtown MSFS, but in hindsight should have, as it blends an international policy focus with core classes in economics and quantitative analysis, which many MAIR programs do not.

My logic behind each potential decision is:

1) Harris is a great school, and full funding is very hard to get, especially since most schools' endowments have taken a hit this year. Additionally, having just come back to the US after having worked for several years abroad, transitioning immediately into a graduate program would be much easier than attempting to begin a job search in this economy. In a worst-case scenario, a year from now I could be rejected again from HKS and WWS and Harris may not be able to extend me the same funding offer they've made this year. Finally, most - but not all - of the jobs attainable after HKS or WWS seem to also be attainable as a Harris grad.

However:

2) Harris may not be the best fit for me. My ideal program provides balanced training in leadership, management and quantitative analysis, and has a strong focus on both international and social policy focus (the two specialization areas that most interest me). Harris is very quantitative -- more than I'd like -- and offers relatively limited training in leadership and management, especially compared to HKS. Harris has also lost a few of its international policy professors in recent years, and while its very strong in social policy, has limited offerings in international policy. This is not to say that Harris is a bad fit -- these programs overlap to a large degree, and they are very strong in social policy, which interests me - but it is not ideal.

Finally, funding is very important to me, as I have undergraduate student loans, must completely fund my graduate education on my own, and do not have a significant amount of personal savings.

Thus, I'm essentially weighing a great funding offer at a school that is great but not an ideal fit, against taking another year off (to do what, I don't know) and hoping that I get into a dream program.

Please share your insights and opinions!

You are joking, right? You would turn down a full funding offer to an outstanding institution in order to reapply next year to a handful of HIGHLY selective programs, Harris included? You're joking, right? That's nothing short of mad.

You would do this without a job lined up. Seriously?

Actually, never mind, maybe you should turn down that wonderful offer. That way someone with a stronger desire to attend the program might get the award. No sense in you taking up the offer at Harris due to pity or whatever. Next year, when you reapply and likely get very similar offers of admission, but perhaps not funding, don't think for a second that you don't deserve it.

You are joking, right? You would turn down a full funding offer to an outstanding institution in order to reapply next year to a handful of HIGHLY selective programs, Harris included? You're joking, right? That's nothing short of mad.

You would do this without a job lined up. Seriously?

Actually, never mind, maybe you should turn down that wonderful offer. That way someone with a stronger desire to attend the program might get the award. No sense in you taking up the offer at Harris due to pity or whatever. Next year, when you reapply and likely get very similar offers of admission, but perhaps not funding, don't think for a second that you don't deserve it.

Couldn't agree more. A free ride is huge. Would you really pay $120K for the Kennedy School on top of your undergrad debt had you gotten in? I think that's ridiculous.

Yes in your case the decision is easy, take the offer. Even if you get into WWS and HKS next year, I can't imagine you would have improved your record enough to receive full funding offers.

You can take a few courses at the UChicago business school and international relations program, if you are really worried about those deficiencies. I have the same concerns about Harris' lack of international focus.

I'm in a similar situation but I applied to 4 schools (Georgetown MSFS/MA Econ, KSG MPP, WWS MPP, and UChicago MPP). I was rejected or waitlisted from every program except UChicago, which offered me no funding. Since I have a job I am somewhat happy with already, I turned down my offer to Chicago. I dreamed of going to an Ivy League school. I've decided to improve my resume and application in one or two years and try again. If I get rejected from Harvard and Princeton again, I'm going to settle for any school that will take me, preferably with money but I'll be desperate enough not to care at that point. That's my ultimatum for myself. Clearly, your situation is different.

I have had a similar decision to make between SAIS (with big, almost 100% stipend) or a SIPA application in one or two years. Although SIPA and the city had been my dream for long, I have decided to forget about a later application and take what's being offered. I came to the reason that such an offer is an enormous privilege which one should be proud of and which will justify any decision where to go for graduate studies.

Interestingly, people on the forum reacted in a similar way, i.e. questioning my mental sanity. And you know what: They were right! One tends to get lost in the inner discussion about prestige of schools, ivy-brand and so on. But in the end, you'll get a fantastic program at an evenly fantastic institution (which is much better than many ivy schools!) for a fantastic price (or non-price ;)). So go for it!

I second what 007 wrote. I had to decide between a fully funded (tuition+ stipend+ almost guaranteed job placement after) fellowship at a state school program versus an MA from Yale (with likelihood of funding to cover housing and food).

While I had Ivy dreams and felt that the Yale community and curriculum was exactly what I was looking for in an IR program, it just wasn't worth the 70 grand in debt. Especially, since there is no real difference in the kind of jobs or pay I could get upon graduation (actually the State program might even be better in this regard). I am going to use this other degree to make my career dreams come true. And that's what you should do:

Harris is free so you can make it work! take advantage of the other professional schools, and take advantage of a free Masters degree.

Edited by irhopefull2010