When did you have your final list of schools in hand?

TheDude

I am just wrapping up my undergrad and hitting the grindstone with GREs. I was wondering about your opinion in regards to when would be the best time to finalize your list of schools? I would love to make it to conferences or colloquiums for programs I'd be interested in attending over the summer. I was thinking by the end of July? This would give you enough time to read through the research of potential advisors, etc.... at least in theory.

Thanks

If you can, have at least 4 (or was it 5?) programs and their GRE codes on hand for when you take the GRE. They give you free score reports then, and if you squander them, you can't get them back. Definitely make sure you check the schools' codes carefully - most programs will want you to send the reports to the Graduate School, while others will want it sent directly to the Psychology Department.

I didn't have my final list of schools until early December, and most of my applications were due December 15th. In fact, I even made a change in early January (decided not to apply to a January 15th deadline school since I was already hearing good responses from my December applications). I don't really advocate my extremely-last-minute method, but I should mention that the school I added on December 4th ended up being my second choice program so I'm glad I gave them a chance!

I think it's a good idea to have some kind of list in mind fairly early so you can read through prof's research and stuff, but that reading itself will almost certainly cause changes to your list - you might discover that a prof that sounded awesome actually writes really lame papers, or your own research ideas might change a little from reading. Another thing that will almost certainly impact your list of schools is the responses you get when you email professors in fall (which you should DEFINITELY do). I had email conversations with a number of profs that didn't end up on my shortlist, because I discovered through talking to them that our research interests were not the best fit. I also had some names added to my list by professors who recommended their colleagues as great people to work with on a specific topic. And, once again, conversations with profs made me rethink my research ideas a little, which led to me adding a couple of names.

I actually found developing my list of schools to be the most time-consuming part of the application process - much longer than writing the applications themselves. Making the list required emailing professors, refining my research idea, reading a ton, updating my CV, keeping up email correspondence with numerous profs at one time, articulating my larger research focus, drawing out the relationships between my prior research and my proposed research... basically, all the groundwork for writing my applications. SOP-writing was easy after all that!

Going to colloquia and conferences is a great idea if you do happen to finalize a list in time, but that's definitely earlier than I or anyone else I know had a finalized list. Mine was finalized probably around late September, which gave me plenty of time to approach recommenders.

My advice would be to start working on your SOP before you decide on a final list. You might be totally different from me and already know perfectly well what your research interests are, but I discovered a lot about mine while drafting my SOP, which in turn informed the programs to which I applied.

Going to colloquia and conferences is a great idea if you do happen to finalize a list in time, but that's definitely earlier than I or anyone else I know had a finalized list. Mine was finalized probably around late September, which gave me plenty of time to approach recommenders.

My advice would be to start working on your SOP before you decide on a final list. You might be totally different from me and already know perfectly well what your research interests are, but I discovered a lot about mine while drafting my SOP, which in turn informed the programs to which I applied.

Thanks y'all. For better or worse I think the best bet for research would be to stick within the bubble of material under which I have been trained. I think in a time where funding is tight everywhere and grad school applications are up I maximize my value to potential programs- and to be frank I really don't mind the type of research that much. It is niche work, but not to niche that I wouldn't have potential to dabble in other realms of the field.

While I have everyone's ears:

Is there a potential if you are not in school and you are accepted that a program would have you move their early to start work in a lab or is that quite rare?

• 2 weeks later...

While I have everyone's ears:

Is there a potential if you are not in school and you are accepted that a program would have you move their early to start work in a lab or is that quite rare?

Depends on the funding situation, and is usually on a case-by-case basis. Many grad students will work anyway in the summer, regardless if they're paid or not. Many psychologists, for example, rely on undergraduate samples - which dry up in the summer. I notice you've tagged yourself as developmental, so you'll probably avoid that pitfall. That's something you'd want to mention after you've been accepted or admitted. I'm sure most would be up to giving you something to do, especially if you're willing to work for free.

Edited by socialpsychg

Good to know. I'll have finished a huge research project while I'm in the midst of waiting to hear back/hearing back from programs. I could always hang around and make more money, but I'm kind of wishing I didn't put this off a year, though I know I'll be better for it.... just really chomping at the bit to not loose momentum with work output.

B