How do you "get a pulse" on a school/departments culture?

UniformlyDivergent

Question

So, clearly it's important to gauge what a graduate department is like before you sign on. The typical advise is "Talk to grad students in the department", which is reasonable advice. So then, what are your favorite questions to ask grad students? What are the best questions that you have been asked? Are there any other things you wished you had said/done/researched prior to going to your now-home institution? Curious what y'alls take on this are.

1 answer to this question

Well, I did reach out to a current student and the way she worded her answers gave me some insight. I ended up not applying to that school. 

Second, I went to a few open houses (via Zoom) before applying. I was split between Religious Studies and History. Noticed the answers by current grad students and realized I couldn't see myself in that department. 

Third, I read current student profiles. Chose to not apply to some schools based on this information. When I did my master's my cohort was 88 people and none of them focused on anything close to what I focused on. Thematically, yes, but that was about it. It was such a lonely time. 

Fourth, I talked to professors. I have some close professor mentors who have knowledge about different departments and people within them. 

Lastly, I contacted potential advisors. Some just said "sorry I'm not taking students. Good luck!" and felt like maybe that's not the kind of place I want to be in. So, I didn't apply to those programs.