Question about areas of study

towelisgood

This may be an impossible question, but you all seem to have a good handle on these things, so I figure I'll give it a try. I find myself drawn toward areas like paleobiology and evolutionary biology, but aside from the fewer opportunities for study and employment in these fields, I find that there is a lack of urgency and real-world applicability. Is there any area of biological study that might combine these interests with something more directly useful to society? (medicine for instance)

You might consider comparative physiology, which has a ton of applications to medicine. One subset of this is comparative microbial physiology, an especially useful field for developing new antibiotics (as 99% of all microbes on earth are uncultured and uncharacterized). This way you can study phylogenetic relationships while also being cognizant of their relevance to developing medicine.