Planning Admissions 2021: Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, decision21 said:

Has anyone decided on or between Michigan / Taubman and Penn / Weitzman  ? What are your thoughts on each program? Funding? Deciding Factors?

Idk about Penn but Michigan gave me a lot of funding that covers 75% of the cost of attending (including estimated living costs). This doesn't seem to be the trend for most accepted students so I wouldn't even consider it if they hadn't offered so much. The program seems to be very good (if you want to do planning in the Midwest area, specially Detroit). The faculty and staff seem to be very accessible and the program seems to be somewhat connected to the greater U-M community. My main concern was hating life with Michigan's long, cold winters (they say winter term instead of spring semester!!). I also don't want to have a car but people said that if you wanted to visit Detroit then you'll need a car. I rather live near bigger, warmer cities and with more faculty doing research closely related to my interests but their funding offer makes my decision a bit harder. 

Anyone else down to the wire in making a decision?

Deciding between Tufts and Penn: Tufts gave me the best offer at the beginning, but Penn has upped their offer in recent days.

Right now the cost of attending are:

Tufts: 1k tuition + fees cost (scholarship + RA + stipend for moving expenses) + 30k COL = 31k/year

Penn: 15k tuition + fees cost (scholarship + RA + Work Study) + 23k COL = 38k/year

I really like both programs and trying to determine if I should go with the cheaper option, or go for the bigger name, even if it cost $14k more.

44 minutes ago, hayamate said:

I really like both programs and trying to determine if I should go with the cheaper option, or go for the bigger name, even if it cost $14k more.

Where's your heart at?

2 hours ago, hayamate said:

Anyone else down to the wire in making a decision?

Deciding between Tufts and Penn: Tufts gave me the best offer at the beginning, but Penn has upped their offer in recent days.

Right now the cost of attending are:

Tufts: 1k tuition + fees cost (scholarship + RA + stipend for moving expenses) + 30k COL = 31k/year

Penn: 15k tuition + fees cost (scholarship + RA + Work Study) + 23k COL = 38k/year

Congrats on great choices! Both are amazing schools and programs in the Northeast where you have access to great job markets! Do you know how many people would dream about a school that pays nearly everything? Forget about the name and just follow the money!! Tufts clearly wants you :) Only issue would be if you really really want to end up in Philly, then Penn could give you that advantage ofc

So excited that my financial aid award letter from UC Berkeley’s planning program was increased to getting the Graduate Opportunity Program Masters Fellowship (covers in state tuition and fees + $10k stipend) and a Department Fellowship ( covers $7k)! Basically my first year is funded! 

In the beginning when I was accepted to the program I received $10k for the first year, but pleasantly surprised they increased it to this amount! 

Is it competitive to receive this fellowship? Has anyone had the same thing happen? 

good luck to others for hopefully getting more funding as people decline offers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 3:40 AM, oliviaplanning said:

Just wondering if anyone has applied to any Canadian universities? I've applied to Queens, UBC, and VIU. Have not heard back from any yet! 

Hey! Did you hear back anything? I recently got into UBC. I’m so excited. Hoping you got in as well.

5 hours ago, anxiousraj said:

Hey! Did you hear back anything? I recently got into UBC. I’m so excited. Hoping you got in as well.

Congratulations!
May I ask when did you receive this good news from UBC? Like very recently?
I'm anxiously hoping to get admitted, but I was told to be still on their waitlist, twice already (this cycle)......

1 minute ago, keyboardranger said:

Congratulations!
May I ask when did you receive this good news from UBC? Like very recently?
I'm anxiously hoping to get admitted, but I was told to be still on their waitlist, twice already (this cycle)......

I was waitlisted on March 25th, then on April 20th I received my offer letter. I was given time till May 1st to accept the offer, so I’m sure you’ll get more clarity after that. Good Luck, I hope you get in tho, UBC is amazing.

1 minute ago, anxiousraj said:

I was waitlisted on March 25th, then on April 20th I received my offer letter. I was given time till May 1st to accept the offer, so I’m sure you’ll get more clarity after that. Good Luck, I hope you get in tho, UBC is amazing.

Thanks so much for your helpful info! UBC is indeed amazing
The tricky part is I'm an international student from Asia, so I may need a lil more time to start the visa thingy...
Anyway, I'll keep my head up and be a bit more patient.
Congratz again!!

Just now, keyboardranger said:

Thanks so much for your helpful info! UBC is indeed amazing
The tricky part is I'm an international student from Asia, so I may need a lil more time to start the visa thingy...
Anyway, I'll keep my head up and be a bit more patient.
Congratz again!!

I’m from Asia as well. I’m from India, where are you from? I totally get it, Visa is a hassle, if you wanna talk more or need sny help, do let me know.

6 minutes ago, anxiousraj said:

I’m from Asia as well. I’m from India, where are you from? I totally get it, Visa is a hassle, if you wanna talk more or need sny help, do let me know.

I'm from Hong Kong hahahaaa (laughing mirthlessly)
I hope we will have a chance to meet up at UBC campus this Sep!

Just now, keyboardranger said:

I'm from Hong Kong hahahaaa (laughing mirthlessly)
I hope we will have a chance to meet up at UBC campus this Sep!

We have one more student from HongKomg who got in omg. I hope you get in. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, beatlesforever said:

Hello, does anyone have any tips or advice on how to ask a program for funding? I've been accepted to UNC with no funding offered, and received a small scholarship from UMich. UNC is my top choice, should I call or email the department? I don't feel like I can leverage my UMich scholarship that much since UNC would still be lower, even at full price. Would appreciate any guidance!

Hey I was wondering how this ended up going? UNC is my top choice this year, but I didn't get any funding. Did you ever ask?