How to find PhD programs that don't require a GRE?

dmacfour

I've been hearing a lot of talk of programs dropping the requirement, but thus far, I've only found one that doesn't. Is anyone tracking this information? I'm currently looking at Statistics and Biostatistics programs.  

I've taken the GRE twice in the last 10 years and really hate the idea of throwing more money at ETS. My scores were good enough to get into an applied statistics program a few years ago, but they are not at all competitive for what I want to do now (155V, 156Q). It would be nice not to stress about taking it again and just focus on acing real analysis this summer. That would leave me with straight A's in calc, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and real analysis, which I think is a stronger statement of my abilities than a standardized test with controversial validity. 

Edited by dmacfour

Gotcha. Now I'm wondering if I should just leave my GRE scores as-is and hope the rest of my application makes up for it. I'm planning on applying to mid-tier programs in the fall. 

I think I remember one applicant here getting into a lower-ranked program with a 158Q once, but I think it's going to be extraordinarily difficult to get into a top 50 PhD with a 156 unless the rest of your profile is extraordinary (elite school, exceptional good research experience).

6 minutes ago, bayessays said:

I think I remember one applicant here getting into a lower-ranked program with a 158Q once, but I think it's going to be extraordinarily difficult to get into a top 50 PhD with a 156 unless the rest of your profile is extraordinary (elite school, exceptional good research experience).

To be honest I'm not necessarily even aiming for top 50. I have several publications, but they all involved applying statistics in different contexts (Sleep research, ag research, education research, employment forecasting, and experimental psych). 

Edited by dmacfour

I don't have any good method of finding programs without GRE requirements, but: Minnesota biostatistics appears to have dropped its GRE score requirement (as part of the whole school of public health dropping the GRE). That was announced in June/July during the pandemic, but to my knowledge they were already looking at that before the pandemic and they'll continue not using GRE scores thereafter. Maybe that's the program dmacfour found that dropped their requirement, or are there others? In any case, we could probably crowdsource a list of programs that don't require GRE going forward as programs decide whether or not to reinstate GRE requirements (per bayessays' point).

Edited by Geococcyx
changed "with GRE requirements" to "without GRE requirements"

1 minute ago, Geococcyx said:

I don't have any good method of finding programs with GRE requirements, but: Minnesota biostatistics appears to have dropped its GRE score requirement (as part of the whole school of public health dropping the GRE). That was announced in June/July during the pandemic, but to my knowledge they were already looking at that before the pandemic and they'll continue not using GRE scores thereafter. Maybe that's the program dmacfour found that dropped their requirement, or are there others? In any case, we could probably crowdsource a list of programs that don't require GRE going forward as programs decide whether or not to reinstate GRE requirements (per bayessays' point).

I saw that CMU dropped it for their traditional stats PhD (the joint ones still require it).