Would love input on where to apply for a Global Health + Conflict interest

2hot2stress

Question

Hi folks,

I am currently finishing up an undergrad in Political Science and Communication, and have been working at a diplomacy and mediation organization for the past two years. Over the next two years, I'm staying on at my current organization, and taking up an additional part time role as a Research Associate at a think tank, researching environmental health in South Asia. I have additional experience and publications on reproductive/sexual health and disability justice, however, most of this does not take an international focus. I am looking for a program that would allow me to look at health and security and health and conflict resolution. I am not looking to pursue international development per se, as I am more so looking at the intersections of health and conflict. Here are the programs I've looked at thus far:

- Georgetown MA Security Studies, with a possible certificate in either global health or diplomacy

- Columbia SIPA with some additional coursework from Mailman School of PH

- George Washington MIA with a focus in gender and health

Do you folks have any other recommendations? Ideally US programs. Here is a bit about me:

- GPA: 3.94

- Work experience: 2.5 years as a project officer at a global mediation organization, 1.5 years as a policy analyst working on transgender-inclusive pensions, some RA experience working on security issues and abortion history

- Additional experience: probably around 500 hours of volunteer throughout my undergrad, teaching English to new arrivals, Planned Parenthood volunteering, AIDS committee volunteering, founded a mental health org and sit on my university's mental health advisory committee

- GRE: haven't taken yet. I took a couple practice tests and got low 150s for quant and high 150s in verbal (honestly I wouldn't trust these scores - they were all free tests and I am not taking the official text for at least another 6 months)

- Languages: English & French, Spanish (intermediate), Hindi (intermediate)

- Post-grad work experience: as I mentioned, I'm not applying for another 1-2 years, and during this time, I'm onboarded as a research associate at a South Asia-based think tank and will be continuing as a project officer

- other stuff: I have three publications in various Canadian magazines, and three academic publications with two conference presentations

PLEASE give any insight, recommendations, and if you think there is a program that I'm not quite on par far, I would love any input on ways to improve!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet