What are my chances for top MSCS programs?

tk2010

Hi everybody! I'm currently finishing off my B.Sc overseas (not in the US, not well-known university) but have spent my third year studying abroad in the US. I major in Math/CS and have relatively good grades (~ about 3.8/4.0); probably the top few in my department. I am writing my undergrad thesis in the Maths department, although the topic is related to CS. My GRE scores are 800/420/4.0 and will take the GRE subject test in Math in October. I have a couple of short research experience (summer research, RA, and my Thesis) so I expect my recommendation letters to be quite good. Right now I'm thinking of applying to the following programs:

Columbia MSCS

UC Berkeley MSCS <-- Long shot I think?

UCLA MSCS

UCSD MSCS

Stanford MSCS <-- Accept alot of students?

Princeton MSE CS <-- I heard that this is pretty competitive, funded

Cornell MEng CS

Dartmouth MSCS

Harvard SM Applied Math <-- Seems like noone gets accepted to this!

Yale MS Applied Math <-- Think the acceptance rate ~ 50%?

I have a couple of questions I'd like ask:

1. Is my current list of schools unrealistic; am I aiming too low/high? Also could you rate my chance for each; I know it is hard to say without seeing the complete application but just a rough guideline will do!

2. Will my verbal/writing GRE scores hurt my application badly?

3. Will I have to submit my transcript from study abroad in the US?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

-TK

Your GPA is strong, but your GRE is pretty weak. For most universities your verbal score won't mean much, but for the top ones your application has to be strong across the board. I recommend re-taking the GRE and improving your verbal score. Assuming your recommendation letters and your statement of purpose are strong, here's my gut feeling on your chances:

Columbia MSCS - Yes

UC Berkeley MSCS - No

UCLA MSCS - Yes

UCSD MSCS - Yes

Stanford MSCS - Unlikely

Princeton MSE CS - Unlikely

Cornell MEng CS - Yes

Dartmouth MSCS - Yes

Harvard SM Applied Math - No opinion

Yale MS Applied Math - No opinion

Good luck!

Hi everybody! I'm currently finishing off my B.Sc overseas (not in the US, not well-known university) but have spent my third year studying abroad in the US. I major in Math/CS and have relatively good grades (~ about 3.8/4.0); probably the top few in my department. I am writing my undergrad thesis in the Maths department, although the topic is related to CS. My GRE scores are 800/420/4.0 and will take the GRE subject test in Math in October. I have a couple of short research experience (summer research, RA, and my Thesis) so I expect my recommendation letters to be quite good. Right now I'm thinking of applying to the following programs:

Columbia MSCS

UC Berkeley MSCS <-- Long shot I think?

UCLA MSCS

UCSD MSCS

Stanford MSCS <-- Accept alot of students?

Princeton MSE CS <-- I heard that this is pretty competitive, funded

Cornell MEng CS

Dartmouth MSCS

Harvard SM Applied Math <-- Seems like noone gets accepted to this!

Yale MS Applied Math <-- Think the acceptance rate ~ 50%?

I have a couple of questions I'd like ask:

1. Is my current list of schools unrealistic; am I aiming too low/high? Also could you rate my chance for each; I know it is hard to say without seeing the complete application but just a rough guideline will do!

2. Will my verbal/writing GRE scores hurt my application badly?

3. Will I have to submit my transcript from study abroad in the US?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

-TK