Dream school out of reach?

My dream school is Berkeley's GSPP. I got a 3.3 GPA and a 3.5 in my major. Work experience includes campaign assistant, congressional intern, deputy organizer. Hopefully will have one more job to add by the time I apply. I am enrolled to take an undergraduate course at Berkeley this Summer. Haven't taken the GRE but realistically it wont be anything above average. Resident of CA.

Berkeley's website states a 3.6 average GPA and 710Q/630V/4.5W. It states 3.5 years of work experience is average but that work experience is not a requirement. Also states that being a resident of CA does not help application, but I have heard a great deal contrary to that.

So should I not get my hopes up?

Also, I am open to suggestions for slightly less competitive schools then the usual highly coveted MPP programs. With a 3.3 GPA, I know that I have an uphill battle to get into these schools. So I'm asking for recommendations on slightly less competitive but still highly regarded programs. I know George Mason's average GPA is 3.3, does anyone have any opinions on this program?

I probably shouldn't bandy this about in every thread asking about possibility of admission to competitive programs with a ho-hum GPA, however, I'll go ahead and tell you about my crappy GPA and how it didn't stop me from getting into my dream program.

I have a 2.97 cumulative GPA from a Tier 1 major public and you can see in my signature which programs I was admitted into. I have 3 years of work experience that is reasonably relevant to the degree program. My GRE scores were all >75th percentile. My SOP for all school except the one I was denied admission to was, in my opinion, strong. My references should have been great, though I didn't read any of them. All in all, the only glaring weakness of my application was my GPA.

My point is this: put together a strong application despite your GPA. Your GPA is only one part of a multi-faceted application package. Also, your GPA really isn't all that bad...

Study hard for the GRE and try to get 80th percentile and above on all sections (typically something like V580, Q750, AW 5.0...I think). That's not so difficult so long as you study and focus. Draft your SOP early and keep going back to it. Make sure your references are in order EARLY. For most online applications, your references can submit without you being 100% done with your application. You have no longer have control over your GPA. Make sure you present yourself strongly through that which you still have control over!

Wow thanks Fadeindreams! You might be an anomaly but I do appreciate the confidence boost. I know my GPA isn't terrible, but all the people on this forum (and others) seem to fall into two groups, 1) the overachievers who got 3.8/4.0 and aced the GRE or 2) the longshot who falls outside of the requirmenets. So it's difficult to discern how someone like me factors into the equation. I intend on studying for the GRE while I'm taking the course this Summer so we shall see how well that goes. :)

I still could use suggestions for some "safety" MPP programs. Regardless of the program, I feel I need a masters if I'm ever to get the jobs I want in the future.

And congrats on getting into Michigan! That is an amazing school!

Edited by sackerma26