Health Policy/ HSR program advise

havanna

Hello,

I need advise on how to choose a program.  I am willing to be anywhere in US.  I am not sure which program is stronger relatively.  I felt US news ranking are not the true representation of rankings.  Is there a program reputation ranking available anywhere? Could someone give any insights of them?    I am confused because all have people doing research in areas of my interest.  Thanks so much.

I need help on the following School of Public Health programs - UIC, UIOWA, TAMU, TULANE, RUTGERS, CUNY, UT HEALTH, University of Utah

• 2 months later...

It is tough to get information on the programs outside of the information provided by the schools themselves. However, I looked at a few of these programs a couple of years ago and what I gleaned from the graduate students at the programs are the following:

-UIC: In terms of rankings and faculty, it is a pretty good program. They also have close connections with the UIC health system, which has been doing interesting work with Medicaid MCOs. The program suffers nationally from the fact that not many people know about UIC outside of Illinois, so this program may make more sense if you want to work in Illinois. 

-Tulane: Tulane got high marks from both grad students as well as faculty at other universities. I only really know about their epi program but one of the things that was mentioned to me is that there is more public health problems then public health work in New Orleans, so there are fewer opportunities for experiential learning than if you were to go to school in New York or DC. 

-UIOWA: I didn't check out this school but I can say for sure that now that I am on the academic circuit, I see their faculty and grad students presenting at APHA, APPAM, and other major conferences. I think they specifically come from the Health Services department. I also know a few in high level research positions at UHG. 

-University of Utah: I've admittedly only looked at their public policy school. I believe it is meant to be more tailored to in-state residents. They do have more on the side of research opportunities but you have to like the area. One perk is that if you are within the western states consortium, you get in-state tuition.

• 2 months later...