Got Accepted to the Security MA programs at both George Washington and Georgetown - unsure which to go for future in intel.

CinaP

Hi,

Just joined cause I'm a bit stuck.

Just as the title says. I figure this would be the place to ask.

I got accepted to the Security Policy Program at GWU. I applied there because I want my grad focus to be on extremism, and i have a lot of interest in security matters involving Africa. The culture at GWU also seems a bit more accepting of diversity. I don't just mean racial, I also mean economic. I am not from a demographic that usually ends up at these types of schools.

But then I got accepted to the Security Studies MA at Georgetown and I wasn't expecting that AT ALL. So now I can't dismiss the school's name recognition and resources.

I have great interest in pursuing a career in intelligence, but I'm realistic and have not ruled out other fields to work in post-grad school. Or even staying in Academia for a PhD, though that's very up in the air.

I should also mention that GW has already offered partial funding. I'll have to see what Georgetown offers. As far as culture, I haven't heard great things about GT. I've been hearing a lot that GT is more on the classist/elitist/cliquey end of the spectrum.

I'm kinda stuck in between, it's an important decision for my future. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

As a fellow Georgetown SSP prospective student, I think they outrank GWU by quite a bit, especially if you're headed for any part of the US national security apparatus. Also, if you want to focus on Africa, I'd say Georgetown is more internationally focused than GWU, which has more connections domestically.