Email from Program Director

PhD Work

Question

So, I’m waitlisted, a select group, for my PhD program. The email explains the waitlist process and the funding available. It also states that before I accept another offer, I should contact them. The email ended with “I want to emphasize how interested we are in your application.”

After I read the email, I emailed the department admin assistant with a couple of questions, and the reply came from the program director. He explained that he doesn’t think it’s a good idea to let applicants know their rank on the waiting list. He ended the email by asking me to stay in touch.

How much hope should I have about an offer from the program based on the above info?

1 answer to this question

The last line where they said "keep in touch"... whaaaat???? Don't they need to keep in touch with you to tell you that you're off the wait-list??? 

IDK. Maybe I'm reading too much into it? Still though. 

I would be open to it. 

I've also been placed on a wait-list and I can relate to this experience. In the meantime I'm going looking for other pieces that may help me make a decision should I get off the wait-list.