Thomas Jefferson University MS SLP

cjuleskusky

Hi everyone!

I haven't seen too much activity about Jefferson's program on here yet but I figured I'd start a forum for anyone who has applied since it is a new program! I have my admissions interview coming up and I'm curious to see if anyone else has been offered one or has already had one. I'd love some tips or insight on how it went! Feeling excited about their program and hoping I'll get in!

Hi! I had an interview with Jeff about two weeks ago.. Be prepared, it is a small group interview. For me, there was 2 other applicants on the call. The two staff members called on each of us at a time to answer questions. I was totally not prepared for this!

Hi! 

I also had an interview..about a month ago now! I'm feeling so anxious about hearing back. I had a similar experience to SLPKatie- very small group (I think my interview had 6 people?) and the two interviewers would call on us individually to answer different questions in front of everyone. It took about an hour and a half and the interviewers made us all feel very comfortable. 

Good luck on your interview!

Hi! I had my interview, and was accepted back in February. It is a small interview (mine was with about 5 other individuals). The people interviewing you are very nice and make you feel comfortable. Questions are more out of the ordinary and do not necessarily make you speak about your experiences with speech language pathology and are more about you as a whole individual. You definitely have to be creative in any way you can be! I tried to prep and found that I really had to think of answers on the fly. I found that this interview was definitely not a measure of how prepared you were. Good luck!! 

Hey! Had an interview with them at the end of February, also waiting to hear back. Like everyone has mentioned the interview is in a small group (mine had 4 other people). For the interview portion the two interviewers cycled through questions for each of us, with no two questions back to back being the same. The exception for that was a question about the importance of diversity in an educational setting which we all answered one after the other. Just like corbe mentioned the questions were mainly geared toward life experiences, personality traits, etc and weren't SLP specific. What might help is to think about experiences you've had in the past that involve growth, while dealing with challenges, criticism, changes, etc and (of course) no matter what make sure you put a positive spin on it. Good luck!

22 hours ago, slpkatie said:

Hi! I had an interview with Jeff about two weeks ago.. Be prepared, it is a small group interview. For me, there was 2 other applicants on the call. The two staff members called on each of us at a time to answer questions. I was totally not prepared for this!

Oh no, I'm so nervous! What kind of questions did they ask if you don't mind me asking? Have you heard back yet?

22 hours ago, EmG said:

Hi! 

I also had an interview..about a month ago now! I'm feeling so anxious about hearing back. I had a similar experience to SLPKatie- very small group (I think my interview had 6 people?) and the two interviewers would call on us individually to answer different questions in front of everyone. It took about an hour and a half and the interviewers made us all feel very comfortable. 

Good luck on your interview!

Thank you! I'm definitely nervous and not really sure how to (if I can really) prep. This is my only program with an admissions interview and I've never done any sort of group interview before. I'm glad it felt comfortable during it, at least I can count on that as it seems all of the posts so far have mentioned that! I hope you hear soon!

7 hours ago, zaziezuzu said:

Hey! Had an interview with them at the end of February, also waiting to hear back. Like everyone has mentioned the interview is in a small group (mine had 4 other people). For the interview portion the two interviewers cycled through questions for each of us, with no two questions back to back being the same. The exception for that was a question about the importance of diversity in an educational setting which we all answered one after the other. Just like corbe mentioned the questions were mainly geared toward life experiences, personality traits, etc and weren't SLP specific. What might help is to think about experiences you've had in the past that involve growth, while dealing with challenges, criticism, changes, etc and (of course) no matter what make sure you put a positive spin on it. Good luck!

Hi! I've seen a lot of advice geared towards diversity so that doesn't surprise me, I will definitely prep for that question thanks for telling me! I really appreciate your advice and tips and I hope you hear back from them soon!

20 hours ago, corbe said:

Hi! I had my interview, and was accepted back in February. It is a small interview (mine was with about 5 other individuals). The people interviewing you are very nice and make you feel comfortable. Questions are more out of the ordinary and do not necessarily make you speak about your experiences with speech language pathology and are more about you as a whole individual. You definitely have to be creative in any way you can be! I tried to prep and found that I really had to think of answers on the fly. I found that this interview was definitely not a measure of how prepared you were. Good luck!! 

Congrats on your acceptance!! I've been struggling myself trying to figure out how to prep so I'm not surprised you kind of can't. Thank you for the insight and advice!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...