Changing subfield/PhD topic

tuliula

Hi all,
I've been admitted for the 2021 Fall to a school that I'm very happy with, at a department of anthropology. Originally when I applied to schools, I had two proposals that I sent to different anthro departments - one leaning towards queer anthropology, the other to animal studies (although there are some connections between the two proposals).

The queer anthro proposal I admitted was the one which got me into my school. There is a specific faculty member who engages with these kind of topics, who also ensured my funding. We corresponded and talked for a few times and we have a good intial connection.

Ideally, I want my Phd project to be the one from the other proposal, in animal studies. It's something well within the scope of the department, and it might be even something that will interest my potential advisor, although its not his main area of interest. I was wondering how to approach and tell him about it, considering its not a minor change of ideas within the same field but rather quite a different proposal - should I discuss it with the departmental graduate advisor first? Should I wait until I arrive there in the fall, or rather try to talk about it in advance in the next few months?

I'd love some insight from anthro / social sciences folks, especially people who've been in this kind of a situation.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there— saw this post a while ago and have been meaning to respond, sorry for the delay.

I'm in no way an expert here; I just got into a program this cycle and will be attending in the fall. But I figured I'd pass along some comments from an advisor because I had some of the same anxieties as I was writing my statement of purpose: What if I want to change directions? Am I going to write something that locks me into a certain research design or theoretical bent for the next 8 years??? Ahhh!!!

To which they all responded: Nobody cares about your statement of purpose.  They are looking to make sure that you can think through research questions independently and have the right background to carry this work—which will definitely change in some ways over your studies—and are less concerned with the particulars. (I should add that this might be particular to the US phd programs; I know that UK schools may expect a more thoroughly articulated program of research from the outset).

I don't think there should be any issue with your topics changing at this early stage—unless it involves switching from one field of anthropology to another, which might have separate admissions pools in the department (as in, linguistic v. cultural v. bio v. archaeology). It seems like both of your interests are sociocultural. I think that the differences between your proposed projects shouldn't be top of mind—of course you'll want to discuss them with your advisor at some point, and you'll be doing a lot of work to figure out who will be on your committees/ advisors; but there's plenty of time for all of that when you get to school. For now relax! Celebrate! Enjoy your last few months of non-assigned reading for a little while! 

Congrats and best of luck on whatever your project ends up being!