University of Pennsylvania MCP Fall 2021 Prospective Students

Hey y'all, figured I would make a thread for the people who are committing or seriously considering UPenn's MCP program for this fall! It would be nice to here everyones opinions and thought processes on the program!

I talked with a current student last week. Overall, all the professors are very approachable and good to work with. There’s no requirement for independent work, like a thesis or a capstone project, but you can write a thesis if you want to. You can also do independent study in lieu of a class. The summer internship is the only non-course requirement. West Philadelphia is fine in terms of safety, just look like you know where you’re going and what you’re doing and you’ll be fine. I heard horror stories from students who went there for undergrad whose apartments were broken into (~10 years ago), but it seems like it’s gotten better since then. Although that is partly due to Penn’s campus being over-policed (good for students, bad for surrounding community). Definitely an interesting city to study in terms of social equity. Also, I was told transportation planning seems to be the thing they’re known for/are good at (unfortunately, not my concentration though). 

Sounds about right! I applied specifically because I had understood that their transportation planning was ? Their smart cities program also looks really fascinating as well. 

@Designplanning what concentration are you going for, if you feel comfortable sharing? 

2 minutes ago, Designplanning said:

I’d be doing Urban Design! I’m transitioning from architecture to planning by getting an MCP degree.

Penn's Urban Design program is probably also super solid though, right? It has that whole Louis Kahn legacy ?

Where else would you consider going? 

Unfortunately, there’s currently only one faculty member for the urban design concentration, but I heard they’ve been trying to hire another. I think by combining classes in architecture and landscape architecture with the planning curriculum though, I could cover all my bases. 

I’m also considering Cornell, Columbia, and Pratt. And perhaps Berkeley if I get off the wait-list. Where else are you all considering?

Hello, I'm from Brazil, I was accepted by the MCP. I signed up for the Land Use and Planning specialization.

Unfortunately I have two problems to consider accepting the offer. First there was no financial aid: /

Second, because my country is in chaos, and only God knows when my vaccination time will come, but I have no hope that it will be before September.