Changing Research Field

OIHKJBFBFDFBJKDKJ

I'm surprised no one has gotten back to you. I'm by no means an expert on this, but here is what I suppose:

If you start publishing research in medieval history that can help with the career change. Shows your change in interest is serious. As for languages, depending what languages you already know, learning new ones could be a breeze. You'll need to know Latin and ancient Greek to do a wide range of research. Knowing English already helps a bit for learning Latin, but knowledge of any Romance languages will really make learning Latin easy. Greek will be a little more challenging, but it's doable. I'm speaking from a Western point of view. If you're talking about Eastern history, I know much less about the languages involved. However, if you're thinking Western histories, you can really get into other languages depending which location you're focusing on, like Occitan. 

In any case, I think anything is possible. The switch is not as drastic as wanting to be a CS professor so I think it is feasible. In a lot of ways, it makes you more versatile for jobs because you could be an expert in both and can fill in where needed.