Courtauld vs Tufts?

paprika21

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time choosing between the Courtauld and Tufts. It would be super helpful if you have any suggestions! My plan is to ultimately pursue a PhD after my MA in the US in contemporary Chinese art (in either Art History or East Asian Studies).

Courtauld- initially (and probably still) my first choice. I got into the Global Conceptualism course (my first choice), which seems like a good fit since I want to pursue contemporary Chinese art for my phd. I am very aware of the good reputation of the program and find the opportunity to study art history in London super exciting. However, I'm a bit concerned with moving to London in this pandemic and heard questionable things about their support for (international) students during this difficult period. I'm also a bit concerned about the intensity of the course since you have to both take classes and produce a MA paper within 9 months, especially that I am doing my MA right after my BA (I am thesising right now).

Tufts- I was offered a half-tuition scholarship. A two year program could potentially give me more training and the opportunity to TA. I will be closer to friends and my partner. I also heard really good things about the program and the training you get there. I believe there is one East Asian person (Japanese material) and a few people working on contemporary materials. 

Sarah Wilson is one of the toughest professors at Courtauld. She is like a celebrity in the field and  has a harsh reputation. If you don't have a strong art history methods and theory background you might struggle since you will receive very little support in that area especially from her or the institution. She has very very high expectations.

However if you succeed under Wilson, it would open a lot of doors. I suggest you read a few of her writings before you decide so you know the quality she expects. She will cover China, but mostly Moscow Conceptualism. DM me and I can maybe show you the reading list. For the MA paper you get about 7 weeks to write 40 pages with little resources if the COVID situation continues. 

If you have been accepted to Courtauld I suggest contacting Wilson to discuss if your research is possible under her at the moment.

• 6 months later...