Applying for Art History PhD with BA in another field?

A Small Raven

Hi GradCafe friends - 

So I've been living over on the English Lit side of the forum, because I applied to all English and Creative Writing PhD programs this cycle. It's my first PhD admissions cycle and was rejected everywhere, so I'm gearing up to apply again for next year. In addition to applying to English PhD programs, I'm also strongly considering applying to Art History PhD programs for next year. 

While this might seem an odd combination of programs to apply to, the research that I want to conduct can essentially fall into either field - I'm interested in researching creative practices of artists and writers, with specific focus on dream studies and utilization of the unconscious. Thus, I'd likely be primarily focusing on surrealism (but if anyone else has commentary of other periods, artists, or movements I should look into, please let me know!)

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on applying for Art History PhD programs without having a particularly strong Art History background? My BA is in English, although I did minor in art and have a few undergraduate art history courses and a study abroad art business course under my belt as well.  My MA is in Creative Writing. My MA research focused on the research I want to dive deeper into as described above, except it was focused on literary analysis instead of art. 

Do I stand a chance getting into Art History programs even though my background is primarily in another field?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice, thanks! 

On 4/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, A Small Raven said:

Hi GradCafe friends - 

So I've been living over on the English Lit side of the forum, because I applied to all English and Creative Writing PhD programs this cycle. It's my first PhD admissions cycle and was rejected everywhere, so I'm gearing up to apply again for next year. In addition to applying to English PhD programs, I'm also strongly considering applying to Art History PhD programs for next year. 

While this might seem an odd combination of programs to apply to, the research that I want to conduct can essentially fall into either field - I'm interested in researching creative practices of artists and writers, with specific focus on dream studies and utilization of the unconscious. Thus, I'd likely be primarily focusing on surrealism (but if anyone else has commentary of other periods, artists, or movements I should look into, please let me know!)

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on applying for Art History PhD programs without having a particularly strong Art History background? My BA is in English, although I did minor in art and have a few undergraduate art history courses and a study abroad art business course under my belt as well.  My MA is in Creative Writing. My MA research focused on the research I want to dive deeper into as described above, except it was focused on literary analysis instead of art. 

Do I stand a chance getting into Art History programs even though my background is primarily in another field?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice, thanks! 

While I think you could have a good shot at a MA program if you explain in a compelling way what is prompting the switch, I don't think a round of applications to PhD in art history programs will fare any better. The truth is art history can be a very conservative field with many opposed to or not understanding literary studies, psychoanalysis, etc. Take a look at current symposium papers or publications and get a sense if that language would help you address dream studies or unconsciousness well. You might feel a bit stymied by alot of the inherent presumptions of the field (I do and I have a MA in art history). Perhaps, the problem with the lit programs had to do with something in a research statement or program fit? Best of luck!