Would learning French be useful for my application?

Hi everyone! I'm currently thinking about applying for Fall 2022, and have been looking at some US universities. However, the language requirement was something quite new to me. My language situation is as follows: I have my first language which I don't plan to do anything with (though I won't mention that specifically in applications lol but I'm also not going to mention ways in which I plan to use it), and English as my second language. I've put a lot of time in English to become fluent, which I now mostly am, and it is the main language in which I am interested in researching in. However, through the school system I also have basic knowledge of French, German, and Ancient Greek. None of these I am particularly well-versed in, though.

My research interests mainly deal with 20th-century literature and their philosophical background. While I mostly tend towards English and American lit, I'm not exclusively looking at these and reading in translation has always been normal to me as I've grown up doing so, which is probably why I'm having these doubts in the first place. When seeing that certain programmes label students' major and minor languages, though, I don't really feel I fit into that, as I don't really have a second-favourite in my research or whatever. This is probably also why I'm still very uncertain how I fit into English vs. Complit programmes - I don't exclusively study English stuff bc I'm more interested in the overarching literary tendencies, but for this same reason I'm not specifically passionate about other language literatures either. (If anyone has tips how to navigate that distinction, of course feel free to share as well!)

My question, then, is this: I feel like becoming better at one of the languages I have some knowledge in, would probably be useful for my applications. It also seems like a really fun project to pick up. However, of course it would be quite a time investment. Would it, in my situation, be useful to pick up another language? Again, I'd love to, but I also need to be mindful of how I spend my time, because I'm also in a fulltime MA programme that is quite time-consuming, and want to get as much out of zoom conferences as I can before things switch to physical meetings again and I won't be able to attend anything. My plan would be to pick up French, as I'm very interested in post-structuralist theory, and it seems useful to just know more of the original language as words get transferred quite often relatively literally and it's useful to pick up their connotations, if that makes sense (I can already mostly do that for German bc my first language is quite similar to it), plus philosophy of course is never really translated as much as reinterpreted. Does this seem wise, or would a language really be such a minor thing on my CV that you'd discourage it? (If I do make significant progress I would consider taking an exam so that at least I can put a certified level on there.)

Thank you!!

Edited by labradoodle

If you're applying to an English PhD, you will have to have proficiency in another language - meaning reading/translating (not having to be fluent in conversation by any means). This is common for any language PhD program. However, it is not necessary to have that before you start the program and programs often help you to achieve the proficiency. In any case, it seems you possibly already would have that proficiency in German or French. Since you're a modernist, Ancient Greek wouldn't be the one you would use for the proficiency exam. By all means, taking time to become more fluent now is always helpful and less stressful for you later. (That's what I'm doing currently - taking time to learn French now so that I won't be so stressed in grad school next year adding that to my endless list of things to do. We can practice together if you like!☺️)

In terms of Comp Lit, you need to be fluent in 2 languages (in a addition to English). Since you're uninterested in your native tongue, you really need to hone German and French to be competitive in Comp Lit apps. Comp Lit is an extremely competitive field to get into. It's honestly much easier to get into a single language program like English. So if you decide that Comp Lit is your preferred program and you definitely want to begin in 2022, I highly recommend having some back up applications in English. 

Also, just rereading everything you wrote, I'd like to offer a suggestion. Maybe you've already thought about this, but reach out to people in both English and Comp Lit programs. Talking to them about the program and their experiences may really help you discover what's the best fit for you. I did that a while back and it was very helpful in deciding between Comp Lit vs Italian programs. People are generally really nice and willing to talk to you, too. Everyone has been in your shoes at some point.

52 minutes ago, Liquirizia said:

If you're applying to an English PhD, you will have to have proficiency in another language - meaning reading/translating (not having to be fluent in conversation by any means). This is common for any language PhD program. However, it is not necessary to have that before you start the program and programs often help you to achieve the proficiency. In any case, it seems you possibly already would have that proficiency in German or French. Since you're a modernist, Ancient Greek wouldn't be the one you would use for the proficiency exam. By all means, taking time to become more fluent now is always helpful and less stressful for you later. (That's what I'm doing currently - taking time to learn French now so that I won't be so stressed in grad school next year adding that to my endless list of things to do. We can practice together if you like!☺️)

In terms of Comp Lit, you need to be fluent in 2 languages (in a addition to English). Since you're uninterested in your native tongue, you really need to hone German and French to be competitive in Comp Lit apps. Comp Lit is an extremely competitive field to get into. It's honestly much easier to get into a single language program like English. So if you decide that Comp Lit is your preferred program and you definitely want to begin in 2022, I highly recommend having some back up applications in English. 

Also, just rereading everything you wrote, I'd like to offer a suggestion. Maybe you've already thought about this, but reach out to people in both English and Comp Lit programs. Talking to them about the program and their experiences may really help you discover what's the best fit for you. I did that a while back and it was very helpful in deciding between Comp Lit vs Italian programs. People are generally really nice and willing to talk to you, too. Everyone has been in your shoes at some point.

Thank you so much; that helps a lot! I'll definitely just invest in that French book then (I was afraid I'd buy a 30 euro book and then find out I really shouldn't be spending time on learning French), especially since I just want to, but it probably could also be useful in a SoP or CV or sth to mention that I've already started becoming more proficient in it. What you mention about the starting requirements for English is also super useful - I was a bit uncertain if I was reading it right on some uni websites before, because yeah with a dictionary German and French are much less of an issue bc the grammar comes quite intuitively to me (though I should definitely refresh it a bit), but the vocab and listening/speaking is where I just shut down lol. I'll also definitely reach out to some people, since I do think you really make sense in that my not knowing what the better programme fit would be does seem a bit central to this (and other) issues. Oh and if I manage to get into the swing of things I'll definitely reach out! ^^

For lit studies programs, your proficiency in language is not a factor in applications (an exception might be if you are planning on studying medieval literature but even then, I don't think coming in with no Latin/Old French knowledge is necessarily a dealbreaker). If you are trying to bolster your lit studies applications, your time would be better spent improving your statement of purpose and writing sample.  

For comp lit, it most definitely is necessary to have proficiency in another language, so it really just depends on what programs you will be applying for. 

I see you've noted that listening/speaking is where you have difficulty with German/French and again, for lit studies programs, I wouldn't worry about that at all. You won't be evaluated on your speaking skills — most likely to pass a language requirement all you'll need to do is translate a short passage and you'll be allowed a dictionary.