Advice from an actual PhD

realist

I was puzzled by their absence from the rankings as well, but if you have non-academic ambitions, they seem to place pretty well in government and policy institutions. Given the government pay grade system and how well some policy firms pay, you could well out-earn us all.

Yes, that was definitely encouraging. I have a few friends in D.C. as a result of my days working for a couple of political campaigns in Illinois, and they seem to love their government/policy jobs; maybe I will end up going their non-academic route. But even if not, really, I would even be happy being a professor at Jethro's Reliable Community College and B-B-Q. Well, all right, I would admittedly be happier at Jethro's Reliable University and 30-Minute Oil Change.

quarex, Brown is ranked.

Hmm. I know there was one school that seemed like it should be highly-ranked that was conspicuously absent from the ranking system, and thought it was Brown. We discussed it in one of these other threads, but it would probably be faster to check my notes at home.