Accept SAIS with Funding or Wait to Apply to HKS and Reapply to SIPA

Black_Sesame

Question

Hi all, 

My situation is I'm deciding if I should enroll in JHU Sais Europe for a global policy degree or wait a year to apply for HKS and reapply for SIPA (Dream program and was admitted but without funding). Personally I feel I should go to HKS as I've come to be really anxious about name brand and prestige (maybe I'm a bit jaded), but don't know if it's worth the risk. I have a good profile, but hate the idea of sticking with my dead end job in tech consulting. Regarding funding, my parents agreed only to help me if I get into Harvard, but I'm not too worried about how much I get from anywhere, not a question of how much but of if. I'm currently not accepting my offer from SIPA since they acted shady and claimed I never asked for aid on my application. SIPA pushed me to apply for the spring or next fall, but preferred I enroll now. 

Looking forward to hearing what people have to say! I'm anxious, depressed, and heartbroken-- regret not applying for more than just SIPA or SAIS and regret not doing so earlier. 

1 answer to this question

Not sure if I'm too late to be helpful here, but after I did a lot of research on my admitted options, which included HKS, I went with Fletcher at Tufts: it turns out to be a great fit for me. So if you had good reasons to apply to your programs in the first place, I'd say go for one of those! I've heard such good things about both. Who knows what another year could bring? Two great "birds in the hand." Also, not that this is my business, but maybe time for a heart-to-heart with your parents. Seems like if they're offering to help, it shouldn't be contingent on which school. Sorry that this is stressing you out so much!