advice requested -- Michigan History/Anthro joint Ph.D.

kokocwire

Hi all,

First, let me apologize for potentially offending anyone with my previous set of posts -- I'm new to this forum, so I didn't really understand the rules of engagement, so to speak. My guess from the negative feedback is that what I wrote came off as pompous. Terribly sorry abou that.

That said, I'm currently considering Michigan's joint history/anthro Ph.D., but I don't have an anthro background: I did political science and sociology as an undergrad, and I'm doing Islamic history for an MA (so the history side is covered), but no anthro specifically. Is it a lost cause? Or is there a way to compensate for the lack fo anthro background? Might the related social sciences be a just cause? I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone could provide. Thanks!

Hi Kokocwire,

I'm doing my MA in anthropology right now, so I'm not sure how helpful my comments might be, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Is there a grad adviser in the history/anthropology department at Michigan? It might help to send an email to the advisor explaining your circumstances and asking what might be required of you to get into the program.

In my department (at the University of Victoria), non-anthropology students can still be accepted into the program, but they might be required to take some breadth courses in anthropological theory so they have the necessary background. In our department, applicants are assessed on a case by case basis, which might be the same for Michigan.

The other thing that came to mind is your potential supervisor (or supervisors). If you could explain either on your application (if you apply) or if you talk to an advisor why your prospective supervisor would be a good match for you and vice versa, that might help you get into the program.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Edited by JenMR

• 2 months later...