Please Help: MSAAD at GSAPP VS M. Arch at Taubman College

Hello everyone,

I got into several schools including CMU, VT, SciArc, USC, and WUSTL, and all of them are M. Arch with AP. My top options now are GSAPP and Taubman college, I asked for an extension to respond and they both gave me only this week. However, I am totally perplexed and can't choose between the school's reputation and the actual learning. To clarify, I got my non-accredited B. arch from outside the US, where I haven't done a graduation thesis nor gained cutting-edge software. So please see the important factors below and let me know what you think from your experience.

About me:

• I have two published research experiences in with my professor.
  • I am currently a TA and have my scholarship from my work (a university)
  • I have 4 years of experience, but unfortunately have zero professional real designs - all of them are proposals

MSAAD at GSAPP:

• THE NAME= Ivy+2nd in ranking+well=known+prestigious+opportunities after graduation
  • 3 semesters= very short to explore new things to me as an international student+might not be able to do research assisting or TA
  • Focuses on history and theory= something I really like, but they also neglect fabrication and computational design
  • Master of Science= I read that if someone's planning to PhD, like me, the professional degree would be better choice because of the thesis
  • Connections= benefit me when applying for PhD+It might be easier to continue the PhD at the same school as well (I am not really sure, but I read that in some forums)

M. Arch at Taubman College:

• 2 years= Have enough time to harness mu knowledge and fix catch up with what I messed as a student, such as Advanced software+fabrication+computational design
  • Thesis: will be able to do an individual research and meet the PhD requirements (although no PhD program mentions that, they only prefer a professional degree)
  • A very slight chance to do a dual degree in MS_Digital Material Technology, which something I also interested in beside theory and history (but I have to apply and go through the process)
  • Connections= there are also some big names at Michigan in which I can ask for recommendations
  • Raking wise I believe that UMich has a strong reputation in research and design generally, but still is not from the top 10 and isn't and ivy - SO will that affect my application for the PhD? considering that PhD committees consider big names during evaluation.

That's all! Please accept my apologies for the very very long text. I really need some advice and hear from other's experiences. 

Thank you so much for your considerations and time in advance.

• 8 months later...