Biochemistry/Biophysics/Str. Bio PhD what are my chances

TrashQueen

Reality check me:

I've been out of school for 2 years, and I think I'm finally ready to get my s**t together and apply to some PhD programs buuuuut, I'm nervous about whether/where I could actually get in. For context, I'm interested in Biochemistry/Biophysics/Structural Bio programs, ideally labs that are focused heavily on protein/protein interactions, protein structural studies, and/or binding dynamics. I'm also pretty picky about location, as one of the main things holding me back from applying before now has been fear of having to move to some boring town/flat area and give up my hobbies (I'm an avid hiker/backpacker). I'm looking into schools in Washington State, British Columbia (I'm a dual US/CA citizen), NorCal, and maybe MT/ID/WY/OR (not much up there, I know). Do I have a chance?

- Graduated from a tiny but fairly well-respected private school in the midwest with 3.8 GPA, double major in biology and biochemistry

- Was in a first year HHMI-funded research course and presented a poster at a national conference at the end of freshman year

- TA'd for the above class all 3 years after that

- Worked a summer with biochem faculty on protein/protein interaction project, got nowhere, had a poster at some tiny local conference

- After graduation worked in an Ivy league lab for year, again didn't get much for results, quit because the PI was toxic and the research was dull

- Since pandemic times I have worked as a park ranger, pharmaceutical manufacturing tech, and hiked a 600 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail

- I have probably 2 good LORs, not sure where a third would come from

- No publications

- Haven't taken the GRE, but I'm a good test taker

I'm white and a female, btw

Edited by TrashQueen

• 11 months later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:22 AM, TrashQueen said:

Reality check me:

I've been out of school for 2 years, and I think I'm finally ready to get my s**t together and apply to some PhD programs buuuuut, I'm nervous about whether/where I could actually get in. For context, I'm interested in Biochemistry/Biophysics/Structural Bio programs, ideally labs that are focused heavily on protein/protein interactions, protein structural studies, and/or binding dynamics. I'm also pretty picky about location, as one of the main things holding me back from applying before now has been fear of having to move to some boring town/flat area and give up my hobbies (I'm an avid hiker/backpacker). I'm looking into schools in Washington State, British Columbia (I'm a dual US/CA citizen), NorCal, and maybe MT/ID/WY/OR (not much up there, I know). Do I have a chance?

- Graduated from a tiny but fairly well-respected private school in the midwest with 3.8 GPA, double major in biology and biochemistry

- Was in a first year HHMI-funded research course and presented a poster at a national conference at the end of freshman year

- TA'd for the above class all 3 years after that

- Worked a summer with biochem faculty on protein/protein interaction project, got nowhere, had a poster at some tiny local conference

- After graduation worked in an Ivy league lab for year, again didn't get much for results, quit because the PI was toxic and the research was dull

- Since pandemic times I have worked as a park ranger, pharmaceutical manufacturing tech, and hiked a 600 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail

- I have probably 2 good LORs, not sure where a third would come from

- No publications

- Haven't taken the GRE, but I'm a good test taker

I'm white and a female, btw

Hi! I'm also interesting in applying for a Structural Bio PhD, but I'll be applying for the 2023 intake. How did your application go? To which universisties did you apply? Could you give me any tips to take into account when applying? 

Thank you and God bless!