Questions about NYU Steinhardt - MFA Studio Art

honeycomb

Hello folks,

I have a few general questions about NYU Steinhardt's MFA program in studio art.

1. Does the application committee at Steinhardt prefer to interview their candidates in person?

2. What percentage of the graduate students are from outside New York state?

3. What sort of weight is given to academics versus portfolio in the application process

4. What percentage of students are awarded financial aid upon acceptance into the program?

5. What percentage of applicants make it into the MFA program from the pool of submissions?

And lastly, if you have been through the application process and/or the MFA Studio Art program, do you have any advice for potential applicants?

Thank you so much in advance! Have a lovely afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I have a few general questions about NYU Steinhardt's MFA program in studio art.

1. Does the application committee at Steinhardt prefer to interview their candidates in person?

2. What percentage of the graduate students are from outside New York state?

3. What sort of weight is given to academics versus portfolio in the application process

4. What percentage of students are awarded financial aid upon acceptance into the program?

5. What percentage of applicants make it into the MFA program from the pool of submissions?

And lastly, if you have been through the application process and/or the MFA Studio Art program, do you have any advice for potential applicants?

Thank you so much in advance! Have a lovely afternoon.

Hello,

I don't think I can give you all the answers you're looking for but I did just visit NYU Steinhardt in person a few days ago. I received a nice tour from one of the grad advisors but unfortunately that tour reflected some of the cramped and out of date conditions of the art building. I was told that funding has been essentially cut and that teaching oppertunities have been shifted to something unique. They actually hire the grads as adjunct faculty to teach classes while they are in the MFA program to get around the cut to the TA program. This pays about $4k per class per semester. I was told most of the grads try to teach 2 classes (sounds like A LOT of work) while they are studying. This still only brings the tuition down 16K/year ... leaving about 18k a year still to pay. This is tuition only as well, doesnt count trying to find a place to live in NY, the supplies, food etc...

NYU takes in 10 grads, mixed specialties, out of a pool of about 300 applicants.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.