Application for non-majors

Hi All,

So I went to Oberlin College, 3.56 GPA majored in Politics. I graduated in 08 and worked as a paralegal for a year, before realizing I wanted to do psychology. I quit my job, and have been volunteering in two psychology labs at the University of Massachusetts (it looks like I'll get a good letter and one publication but won't be the lead author).

I'm currently looking for RA positions to get more experience before applying to Clinical PhD programs. I am posting to see if anyone has any stories or advice for those who didn't major in psychology, but want to go on to PhDs in the field. Given the crazy admission standards, I'd love any perspective. I'm 24 now, and won't probably be applying for two years......am also wondering if anyone else has started programs or known people to start around 27 or so. I'm worried about being the oldest. Thanks for your help!

Your age will not be an issue. How much psychology coursework did you take in your undergrad? Its possible that doing an MA or MS in general or clinical psychology would allay any fears adcomms might have about a lack of relevant coursework. If you think you could self-study and do well, taking the psychology GRE would also be something else to look at.

I agree with Cogneuroforfun that your previous psychology coursework will be considered and that taking the psychology GRE may be a good way to demonstrate competence, even to programs that do not require it. You may want to call programs and ask a few questions, or see if their websites have FAQs where they list the kind of background they look for in students.

I don't know that you'd need a full masters degree before applying, though. Many program websites will list which classes are required or strongly recommended for admission. If you don't see that information listed, call the program office or write to someone and ask. Since you won't be applying for a couple of years, you can take undergraduate or graduate classes as a non-degree seeking student (assuming you can afford them and have the time) to bolster your application. If you have trouble getting or finding this information, look at what the basic (non-elective) requirements are for undergraduate degrees in psychology. Because you went to a good school for your degree and have proven that you are capable of that level of work, you can take additional classes at a cheaper or less rigorous school so long as you do well in them. I was an English major and graduated with 15 credits in psychology and then took another 8 after graduating at a local university that catered to working adults.

As for your age, I think it is common for there to be slightly older students in psychology programs. I am 27 and finishing up my masters, and a few of the PhD students here are my age or older; I'll turn 28 shortly after I start my PhD program in the fall.

Thanks for all your help. What I'm hoping is that my current experience volunteering in a psych lab, combined with a two year RA position, would be enough to convince them that I've mastered the material. I'm definitely going to take stats and research methods, and perhaps abnormal too....I wonder what else I could do to bolster my application. I will also definitely take the psych gre. Anyone have any advice about that test?

• 3 weeks later...