MPP/MPA vs. MEM programs

Hi everyone,

I know I posted something similar before and got some pretty helpful responses, but I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between a MPP/MPA environmental policy concentration and the curriculum for environmental management and policy? I'm a little worried that MPP/MPA programs might be too broad and will not focus enough on my concentration of choice. Is this a legitimate concern?

Thanks!

2shieh

I dealt with the same dilemma, so I think it's quite a legitimate concern. I applied for MPP and MEM programs and, after looking at the various curricula, decided I wanted to pursue the MEM because I could take more courses that interested me. I found I could only take 4-6 environmental courses if I entered an MPP/MPA program, compared to 16+ with an MEM, and I'm fairly certain my career path will include environmental issues, so it made the most sense for me to get an environmental degree with a policy focus, instead of the reverse.

I found it quite helpful to print out and review the curriculum of each program, highlighting the courses that most grabbed my attention. With the MEM programs, every semester looked exciting. In contrast, the MPPs looked more like a forced march until I could take the electives I wanted. I hope this helps. Best of luck with the application process.