Anthropology!

Guest cat

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wink: Just want to say hello to everyone here...

I got my first admission without scholarship. :roll:

As an international student, I have to say that the financial support in this program is full of uncertainty so that I am not sure if I could afford myself studying there for, say, 3 or 5 years since the positions of TA Assistantship are limited/competative and not ensured (let alone the funding for fieldwork or fieldtrip) ...

Well,I know that searching and applying for grants and scholarship might be a good training but a challenge for a young scholar, but what about the situation that turns the program into a ph.d. in proposal writing??

:cry:

is this a common situation in other dept. of anthropology?

Cyhope-

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty normal in anthropology departments. The department I would most like to study in as a general rule doesn't give any fuding to first-year students- I am still hoping I can find external funding if I am admitted.

Where were you admitted? I was rejected from one school, and am waiting on 5 others.

taobenli

Cyhope-

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty normal in anthropology departments. The department I would most like to study in as a general rule doesn't give any fuding to first-year students- I am still hoping I can find external funding if I am admitted.

Where were you admitted? I was rejected from one school, and am waiting on 5 others.

taobenli

taobenli,

I got admission in UW-Madison. This seems ideal to me because I can stay with my husband here. But the funding is not so cool...

I'm also waiting on 5 others.

good luck! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

So someone put on the survey that they received an email from H for cultural anthro on February 23. I thought they only notified via mail? Does anyone know anything about when those are coming? I'm getting pressure for other schools to have answers.

Similarly, I saw on the results page that University of Texas has posted on their website? Where do you find this information? I 'm going crazy waiting!

Guest taobenli

Yes, I'm going more crazy waiting than I even thought possible before! I can't focus on anything...and I have a massive paper due on Tuesday!

I haven't decided and am going crazy waiting for the last couple places to get back to me. I also am writing a massive paper and haven't been able to concentrate for weeks. :(

Yeah, I have to decide so far between 3 schools, but I don't know all of the funding yet. And I'm waiting to hear from 3 other schools, although probably only one of them isn't a long shot.

Whichwould you chose, the school that gives the most money (relative to the cost of living of the area), the most prestigious program, or the one that best addresses your particular interests at this moment? Why, oh why couldn't one school be all three of these? :?

i would go with the one that best reflects your interests providing they are giving you a decent amount of money. prestige doesn't mean anything if you're not in an environment where you can do good work.

Guest UThopeful
Similarly, I saw on the results page that University of Texas has posted on their website? Where do you find this information? I 'm going crazy waiting!

If they've decided about your application, you can find it by checking your application status. Have your UT EID and password ready (these were emailed to you by the GIAC after you submitted your application), go to the GIAC website and follow the links. If you are a US citizen, this is the page you want:

http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/gradus/

Click "Application Status" in the menu bar on the left, and enter your info. Read the status information very carefully--if you've been accepted or rejected, it will say so in a paragraph that is easy to miss...!

Good luck!

Guest Guest

NYU has certainly notified the 6 first-round picks and at least the wait-list candidates near the top of the list. The wait-list email was personal and not a form letter, so perhaps all wait-listed people have not yet been informed.

That being said, I think no news is not particularly good news in this case. As no one has yet posted a rejection from NYU, I'd say they're probably still in the mail.

Good luck!

Guest Andrewster
Has anyone heard from Columbia or CUNY? I heard from NYU, and they've pretty well won my heart with the way they have handled the process, all the way through.

I just e-mailed CUNY and got this response:

"The Admissions Committee has reached a final decision regarding your

application to the program. Based on their decision, our office has

issued a formal letter to the address you provided on your application.

You should be receiving this letter shortly.

Please note that due to the confidential nature of our admissions

process, we do not communicate committee decisions via Email.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

I hope this helps. NYU is in such an awesome location, much better than Columbia's location in my opinion. Are you going for cultural?

Yes, cultural. The location is a matter of blocks, right? Both are NYC -- and location in NYC isn't too big a factor I'd imagine for either. Anyway, it's really a matter of the programs -- any idea of the differences? I've already made up my mind, but I'm interested in how the various programs stack up against eachother, and what impressions other students have of each. Thanks for the Cuny info. Just very curious how they make their minds up. Very black box this whole process...