Anthropology!

Guest cat

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to whoever emailed Columbia and Princeton about when they would be responding and then posted it on the site--that was really nice of you and if they didn't email to say you were rejected that is a good sign! March 7 for Columbia seems a lot earlier than when people were notified last year.

I noticed a Yale reject or 2 and just wondering if any of you applied to Yale and why you would want to go there? Just anthropologically curious.

I guess I should stop checking now that I know Columbia and Princeton won't be notifying for another couple of weeks or so...

btw--Looks like we have similar schools and responses, devindavenport...no Michigan for you?

does anyone know how many students are usually put on a waitlist for anthro phd programs? just curious b/c im now one of 3 people on this board who was waitlisted at stanford, which makes me think they put more than 5 on the waitlist, which makes me nervous.

Those of you accepted at UChicago (Weber and devindavenport, I'm looking at you), do you know if they are done issuing acceptance letters? My feeling is that they probably are based on a conversation I had with Dr. Farquhar, but I'm holding out hope for some kind of hold category or waitlist spot.

vilanelle--I would guess there are between 10 and 20 people on the waitlist, but that they didn't accept any more people than they could fund. Did you have a phone interview? If so, what was it like? Mine just involved me asking about the program and them asking if I was still definitely interested in stanford. If you absolutely want to go to stanford and you are positive it is your first choice I would tell them that, sending your email to the woman we got the emails from as well as the professors with whom you want to work. Where else did you apply/are you waiting on?

Medanth--I don't know, but I have a feeling they already sent out the acceptances and that if you hadn't heard you could be waitlisted or not accepted. What annoys me is that they don't send out rejections at the same time, that just seems silly and like they are hedging their bets just in case they get a negative decision in between. Are you considering Harvard as well?

ack! 10 to 20 people is so many. did you get an interview before or after you received the email? and who was the interview with?

i did email back immediately to say stanford was my first choice...but who knows how much good that will do. im just hoping that the rrecently announced anthsci/casa merger will cause those who were accepted to go elsewhere.

im also curious what attracted you to chicago, michigan and stanford? now im thinking i shouldve applied to michigan, but chicago seemed very old school to me, no?

Yes, I'm waiting on Harvard and a few others, but Chicago is my top choice. I was way bummed to not get an acceptance email last week; I'm about 90% certain this means rejection. The only reason I have a shred of hope is that I'm a joint program applicant and I know the medical adcom hasn't met for us yet, so I'm praying that anthro is holding off until they hear from them or something. But that's unlikely. I wish they would just send the rejection letters at the same time so I wouldn't have to live in this limbo!

Does anyone have any insights into what is going on with Berkeley's decisions? I've seen people posting both acceptances and rejections by all different methods (phone, e-mail, postal service), but I still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming that's a bad sign, but without an official rejection I haven't completely given up hope.

Well, since someone posted today that they emailed for a status update and got a rejection, I'm thinking outlook not good. It still doesn't explain the sporadic acceptances; but, then again, we don't really have an adequate sample size here. Maybe I'll email for an update myself. Mehhh. So much for working with the person whose work was fundamental to my undergraduate thesis...

Hi,

I'm the mystery person who wrote to Columbia Princeton and CUNY and posted when they'd be getting back to us...I did use my anonymous 'junk' email address to get this cuz I didn't want them to know who I was and think I was annoying ;) So it's possible I did get rejected--but they just don't know who I am so can't tell me! But thanks for the props anyway.

Anyhow, are people writing to their schools and saying "FYI I'm still really interested in your program and will go there if you let me" while you wait? Or is that considered too desparate?

Although I'm sometimes tempted to call just to ask when they'll be notifying or otherwise ask them, I end up not doing it, mostly because I feel like it won't make a difference in their decision or when they'll tell me, and superstitiously and irrationally because I see the people who generally email to ask for a status update almost always end up getting rejected.

We've done everything we can during the application process, and now it's out of our hands, and in a couple weeks we all should know. This comforts me, but I'm still going a little crazy with the wait.

Yes from UCSB and unofficial yes from Texas with fellowship...anyone else looking to head South for the winter/many winters?

Also, any good research plans for the summer? Going back to Hungary this August on my old dig and cannot wait.

I've gotten into two schools so far-one for an anthro phd and one for an archaeology phd. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with or advice about job placement with an archaeology phd? Or regarding the two tracks in general...

I'm the one who heard from a Columbia prof today. She said she wanted to chat about my plans as they are compiling their shortlist. It sounded promising but sort of vague (We set up a phone interview for tomorrow).

Hey how's it going everyone? Been lucky this year, got offers from three big names. But veering towards NYU, given program match and the charm of nyc! Anyone planning on going there this year?

And yes weber, had applied to yale and accepted. any insights on how it is? you seem to think its not the best place to be anthropologically... would be good to know since as an international applicant quite clued out about internal politics/things going on. thanks.