Realistic ranges (PhD programs) and advice to improve chances

RandomCSDude

Hi everyone! (I think) I have a rather unusual profile and would like to have a realistic evaluation of my chances and expectations.

Undergrad: 3.95/4 GPA (~2015)

Math & Economics double major, NYU

Masters 1: 3.8/4

Top Economics Program (PhD dropout)

Masters 2: 4/4 (~2021)

GA Tech OMSCS

---------

GRE: (Expired) 169 Q - 165 Verbal - 6 AWA

Will need to re-take, and probably will score a bit lower this time..

---------

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:

Not really sure. Will probably mostly still be from undergrad, potentially one from OMSCS or from current employer.

---------

WORK EXPERIENCE:

Working as lead developer for a startup, wearing many hats which includes some basic CV applications, some AI/ML application to data analysis. Mostly "applications" instead of "research".

---------

My own thoughts:

- I'm pretty confident in my grades and the strength of my letters, though none will really be super relevant since the undergrad professors would be math or econ professors;

- Potentially I can get a letter from a GATech CS professor but given the nature of OMSCS (and that I didn't made particular effort to standout / get recognized), it will probably just be a generic "X performed super well in this class" letter..

- Have some elementary research experience in some of the OMSCS classes, but obviously nothing led to any publications. I did really enjoy those courses and "research" process, but I feel like this is an area that I am really lacking in in terms of my "application package"

- The reason I'm considering applying for CS PhD programs is that unlike last time where I applied to an Economics program straight out of college, I actually have a better idea of both what a PhD program takes, and what I'm looking for, and I feel like they are quite aligned for me at this point in my career.

Let me know if I could provide any further information. I would really just want to have a better understanding of (very roughly) what schools & programs I could expect to get into... Thanks!