Could you recommend some journals for Political Economy?

hi.

i'm a sophomore student of undergrade school.

i'm interested in political economy, PE, which is about mathematical or economical modeling of politics, not a Marxist economics theory.

i want to know the latest trend of this field.

could you recommend me some prominent journals ? (SSCI ?) 

thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hey, I think for PE or IPE journals you should look at International Journal of PE (IJPE), Review of International Political Economy, or JPE. There"s lots and depends on what you love. I'd also suggest to look at recent PE conferences... you can have a good insight on what's popular and who's working on what.

Also, what you look for in PE depends on the country.

Personally, I hate your definition of PE because it highlights one of the biggest division in scholarship on political econ. If you go to Canada (esp. franco), UK and France, you'll see that scholarship is way more focused on making sense of how the economy and its actors (firms, consumers, regulators) have an influence on power structures, on finance, on governance etc. The methods usually used are more than often mixed and the main goal is descriptive, explanatory and, in my eyes, much more valuable to 95% of the poli-sci community. 

Now, in the US, positivist way of doing academia pushes researchers to ''pile' knowledge on top of what has already been done, thus pushing academics in poli-sci to find ways in creating reproductible research and statistically significant. This approach does not make sense to many experts around the world simply because what make our research objetcs so unique is our inherent inability to really predict it. Sadly, the US way of doing things is understandably the dominant one and all the money goes to quant-heavy research because it allows to fix, to an extent, that sentiment of inferiority in regards to ''hard'' sciences and econ. 

And I look like somebody did me wrong but funnily enough I am doing research in IPE with a prof who does econometry and really heavy quant stuff. I did it because I think it is important to have the tools to dabble in different niches and truthfully experiments are really interesting to get curious insights in IPE/PE. I just do not agree with the idea that's more relevant because we got great p-values from a big N.  think in reality it is rather weak because only a small portion of the people in the world can understand what we did and THAT, for the growth of the understanding of politics in our youth, is counter-productive.

All that epistemological rant just to strongly suggest to also look outside of US-Quant dominated journals. It might be what you are looking for, and that is more than okay, but I think you'll be a much better scholar if you look at methods and approaches from around the globe. For example, States and Markets from Susan Strange is a great first read in terms of the UK way to look at PE (more internationally). 

• 2 weeks later...

General Interest Political Science Journals which turn out formal work:

American Political Science Review, American Journal of Political Science, Quarterly Journal of Political Science

Field Journals:

Journal of Theoretical Politics, Social Choice and Welfare, Political analysis, Legislative Studies Quarterly

Econ Field Journals:

Games and Economic Behavior, Journal of Economic Theory, Economic Theory, Economics and Politics, Theoretical Economics, Public Choice

Just look at faculty who publish formal theory and look at which journals they publish in. Other related terms "positive political theory" "positive political economy" "political economy" "political economics"