Fall 2022 Statistics Masters Profile Evaluation + Advice

Profile: U.S. Citizen attending a top 10 Liberal Arts College.

Coursework: Calc 2 (A-), Calc 3 (A), Linear Algebra (B+), Into to Proofs (B+), Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (A-), Probability (A), Abstract Algebra (B-), Complex Analysis (A+), Geometry and Topology (A)

Math GPA: 3.63 (school counts B+ as 3.3 and A+ as 4.0 instead of 4.3)

Overall GPA: 3.78

Other Information:

• I will graduate with a double major in math and history from my university. My history GPA is much higher (3.89) and I recently won an award for excellence in writing if that counts for anything.
  • I will be taking two courses of real analysis this year and statistics (should be able to get high grades given that I've taken both professors before and did really well)
  • I might take a biostatistics course this fall that uses a lot of R.
  • I am currently doing undergraduate research this summer at my university in applied statistics and I am hoping to be a co-author of a published paper. The research I have done this summer has sparked my interest in pursuing a masters in statistics even though I haven't taken a formal class yet.

GRE Scores: Haven't taken yet (still not sure about a direction after college).

LOR: Good -- should be able to get an excellent recommendation from the statistics professor I am doing research with.

Questions:

• I am wondering what schools I should be looking at given my profile. Would a school like Duke or University of Washington be attainable for a masters?
  • Should I retake abstract algebra given that the grade is very low? The class was conducted over Zoom and I had a really tough time; I feel I could do much better if I retook it.
  • Are there any major weaknesses that I should be aware of in my application? I have not taken a formal computer science class but I would say I am at a high beginner/low intermediate level with R (used a lot of R this summer for my project).

Thank you.