Teaching Full Time and Re-Applying

Hi All--I hope those of you that are entering new programs find them to be a great fit! Congrats to all of you! As you know my top choices rejected me and I got into 3 schools but I was offered a full time position at Miami teaching Communications courses and decided to go that route. My plan now is to use this to my advantage. My GRE scores (1200) need work. I plan to study (got two books) and re-take the GREs and then REALLY work on my SOPs and visit a couple of schools. My final GPA is a 3.88 and I am working on publishing one of my articles (I am confident it will ultimately be published before I apply this fall).

My top schools are:

syracuse

uni of washington

uni of georgia

uni of az

Temple

safeties:

uconn

georgia state

wish me luck!

I think you made the right choice: teaching adds an element to your CV that nothing else can (just like research, etc). Ultimately, you're going to teach with your PhD (most likely), and schools LOVE to see that you take your future employment endeavors seriously, and that you can also "ease into" a TA position easily.

Frankly, I'm quite jealous of your GRE scores! Keep your head and keep going with your plans. I think your on the right track! One last thought: have you thought about doing campus visits before application deadlines? Not a typo! I know most people do them after they are accepted, but if you go before the app deadline, you put a face to your name. Give yourself any opportunity to become more than just a name on a piece of paper. My GRE scores are low, and I'm using everything I can to get a leg up. I will be attending AEJMC just to talk to some profs from my desired schools, and I will be visiting 4-5 this fall before I even apply. While it's expensive and time consuming, it really will help you out!

Hi All--I hope those of you that are entering new programs find them to be a great fit! Congrats to all of you! As you know my top choices rejected me and I got into 3 schools but I was offered a full time position at Miami teaching Communications courses and decided to go that route. My plan now is to use this to my advantage. My GRE scores (1200) need work. I plan to study (got two books) and re-take the GREs and then REALLY work on my SOPs and visit a couple of schools. My final GPA is a 3.88 and I am working on publishing one of my articles (I am confident it will ultimately be published before I apply this fall).

My top schools are:

syracuse

uni of wshington

uni of georgia

uni of az

Temple

safeties:

uconn

georgia state

wish me luck!

Hey Skiergirl! Glad you have bounced back. I am curious...did you talk to those top schools about why you didn't gain admission? I ask that because your GRE score is competitive. I believe a lot of people are trying to find every way to strengthen their stats, but I think its important to point out that people with "perfect" stats were rejected this year, while others with less than stellar numbers were admitted due to other factors like work experience in the field, etc...I guess what I am saying is why spend time say on your GRE scores when it was perhaps your SOP or something else? I know you will kick butt next year regardless.... :D

• 1 month later...

Hey PRGuy, thanks for the nice comments.

I've narrowed down my list of schools CONSIDERABLY and plan on visiting 2 or 3 to which I am applying: UW, U of Denver, UGA and GSU and then I am stuck about UConn...the fact that they left me hanging really ticked me off....I want to apply because it is a decent program and close to home but I don't want to throw away $140 on sending GRE scores and app fees etc. No thanks.