A question about the Planetizen Guide to Graduate Urban Planning Programs

Hello all,

I hope this post finds you well. I would like to know if anyone has bought the 6th edition of the Planetizen Guide to Graduate Urban Planning Programs ?

Is it worth the purchase ?

Thanks,

Best,

Hi. Not sure what gave me the urge to log on here for the first time in forever just now, but glad I saw this thread. My answer is a resounding yes, it is worth it!

I think some people will tell you otherwise; that rankings are meaningless in this field or that you shouldn't base your schools on a number but based on location or goals. While that's true to an extent, it's not like Planetizen is putting arbitrary numbers together to sell their book. The rankings themselves don't matter too much, but the numbers that go into creating them (and that make the meat of the Guide) are there to help you determine where to apply.

Outside of a few schools (MIT, Berkeley, Harvard), planning schools aren't too competitive to get into. As long as you have a decent application you can get in pretty much anywhere. Of course, the process isn't just about getting in but about landing funding and assistantships. The higher ranked schools — i.e. the most established programs with money, accomplished faculty, modern facilities etc. — will be more likely to give you these opportunities than a smaller unknown program with less to offer. In this sense the rankings are something that should help you rather than hurt you, and those accustomed to hearing about competitive degrees in business or law or whatever may carry over the idea of 'rankings = prestige' which doesn't translate much to planning.

Again I highly recommended the book, I made my decisions based on the 5th edition and my process turned out way better than I expected last year. What I recommend doing is find schools near cities/regions where you'd like to work, and use info in the guide — notably the number of students, faculty/publications, maybe a few more things, and very importantly the tuition and average amount of financial aid — to narrow down your list. Best of luck! ?