Tier

Hi all! I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Applied Math or Statistics. However, I am unsure what tier of programs I should look into (top 10, top 20, etc.)

Here's my info!

School: T25 State University

Majors: Math and Applied Statistics
Minor: Computer Science

GPA: 3.5; 3.6/3.7 cumulative with previous institution

Relevant Coursework: Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Mathematical Statistics, Probability, Regression Analysis, Applied Linear Models, Time Series, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics,  Data Structure, Theory of Computation, Algorithms

Languages: C, C++, Java, Python, R

Internships: Private Equity and Consulting, both at top firms during my sophomore and junior summers

Research: None

GRE (expected - if taken): 310 to 320

Please let me know if any other information is needed :)

It would help to know what your grades in your math/stat/related classes were and who you can ask for letters of recommendation (plus a general feel for how strong you anticipate they would be). That might give a clearer idea of what schools you should apply to. That said, your overall GPA is probably a bit on the lower end for the very top-tier programs -- unless UVA is known for grade deflation and I'm just not aware of that. But let us know your math grades and your intended rec letters, and this will give a better sense of what schools you should target.

16 hours ago, Stat Assistant Professor said:

It would help to know what your grades in your math/stat/related classes were and who you can ask for letters of recommendation (plus a general feel for how strong you anticipate they would be). That might give a clearer idea of what schools you should apply to. That said, your overall GPA is probably a bit on the lower end for the very top-tier programs -- unless UVA is known for grade deflation and I'm just not aware of that. But let us know your math grades and your intended rec letters, and this will give a better sense of what schools you should target.

Thanks for the response!

Grades were pretty good for upper level classes:

Probability: B+

Discrete/Proof class: A-

RA: B

Abstract (I got to take this with Ken Ono!!!): B+

Applied Linear Models (graduate level course): A-

Mathematical Statistics: A-

Data Analysis: A-

I also got a B+ in Algo and A- in Theory of Computation, if that matters

Recommendations: real analysis professor (very strong), mathematical stats prof (decent), and employer or applied linear models teacher (decent to strong)

I graduated uva with a 3.5 but my cumulative GPA is a 3.65 because my previous institution I had a 3.8, mostly because I was taking lower-level courses which I did very well in

As a domestic student, if you wish to apply to Statistics PhD programs, I would target schools mainly in the range of 40-80 of the USNWR Best Statistics Graduate Programs. You have a few too many B's, including one in Real Analysis and one in undergrad probability, so it probably doesn't make much sense to aim a lot higher. 

If you are interested in Biostatistics, it's possible you could aim a bit higher, though even then, I wouldn't apply to many above the rank of 40 overall in USNWR.

11 hours ago, Stat Assistant Professor said:

As a domestic student, if you wish to apply to Statistics PhD programs, I would target schools mainly in the range of 40-80 of the USNWR Best Statistics Graduate Programs. You have a few too many B's, including one in Real Analysis and one in undergrad probability, so it probably doesn't make much sense to aim a lot higher. 

If you are interested in Biostatistics, it's possible you could aim a bit higher, though even then, I wouldn't apply to many above the rank of 40 overall in USNWR.

What about applied math?

5 hours ago, applecapple3 said:

What about applied math?

You could ask your question over at https://mathematicsgre.com/. I am sure they will be able to give you better advice about specific programs.

My hunch is that you'd also have to aim mainly for mid-tier to lower-tier programs in Applied Math (i.e. I would definitely not apply to Caltech, NYU Courant, or the like, with your profile), because of things like the B in Real Analysis, no research experience, and sparse graduate coursework (a lot of the applicants for the "top" programs will have already taken a few grad classes such as measure theory, etc.). You'd probably also have to take the Math Subject GRE, though I am not sure how important this is for Applied Math (as opposed to Pure Math). For Stat PhD programs, you don't need the Math Subject GRE is most cases -- it appears that even Stanford Stat is no longer requiring it.

1 hour ago, bayessays said:

I think even 40-60 might be pretty big reaches with these math grades from a non-elite school and no research experience.

UVA is the 4th best public university in the country and ranked 26th overall by USNWR. It's not Ivy, but it's also considered a pretty good school. I think since the OP is domestic, he can aim as high as ~40 but shouldn't bother with too many schools ranked higher than that (on account of the math grades). 

1 hour ago, Stat Assistant Professor said:

UVA is the 4th best public university in the country and ranked 26th overall by USNWR. It's not Ivy, but it's also considered a pretty good school. I think since the OP is domestic, he can aim as high as ~40 but shouldn't bother with too many schools ranked higher than that (on account of the math grades). 

Yeah, i'd definitely say uva is elite and it's ranked 47 and 69 respectively for grad math and stats also i am a girl

edit: thanks for the advice and link to other site!

another edit: just wondering, am I better off trying for master's programs and, if so, what tier?

Edited by applecapple3

8 hours ago, applecapple3 said:

Yeah, i'd definitely say uva is elite and it's ranked 47 and 69 respectively for grad math and stats also i am a girl

edit: thanks for the advice and link to other site!

another edit: just wondering, am I better off trying for master's programs and, if so, what tier?

Apologies for misgendering! 

Yes, you could aim for Masters programs in Statistics, and you could probably get into most Masters programs. There aren't really a lot of "tiers" for MS programs. Outside of a few very selective MS programs like Stanford, Yale, and Harvard, most MS programs in Statistics are not difficult to get into, provided that you meet the minimum GPA and math requirements (even Masters at some "elite" schools like Columbia and University of Chicago are not very selective). If you really want to do a PhD in Stat, you could still apply to PhD programs -- in fact, it's better to skip the Masters if you can, since most MS programs are not funded.

Your cumulative GPA from UVA and the school you transferred from is a bit shy of 3.7, which isn't bad. And your math grades aren't terrible (although B's in undergrad probability and real analysis are of course not ideal), so I would think you can still apply to schools mainly in the range of 40-80 of USNWR. If you are interested in Biostatistics PhDs as well, I could see you getting into some good Biostat programs (e.g. on the level of University of Pittsburgh and possibly some ranked above it and definitely ones below UPitt).   

Edited by Stat Assistant Professor