non-traditional path to stats grad school. recs?

u8a4

I finished undergrad 10 years ago in the humanities. I became interested in data science through work, found I loved learning about it, and decided to enroll in school. I took a few semesters of undergrad math (real analysis, math statistics, numerical analysis,  ODE's) then enrolled in an MS in Applied Math at a CSU school. The CSU school is not the best, and the curriculum of the MS is frankly similar to upper-div undergrad classes at a top-tier school.

I want to continue my studies in Statistics, but I'm not sure the best path. I currently have 3.8 gpa, starting a semester of research (related to aerospace, not statistics unfortunately), and have good relationships with a few professors.

I'm considering:

1. Pursue a second master's, this time in statistics, this time at a "better" school. (Is this crazy?) Having more coursework under my belt this time, I think I should be able to land a higher ranked UC school. However, some UC schools (such as UCSD math) will not accept master's applicant's who already have master's degrees. This leads me to option 2:

2. Pursue a PhD? I hadn't planned on a PhD when I started this back to school journey, but the more I think about it, the more I would love to make it work. Additionally, having paid for one masters degree, a funded program would be ideal.

The primary challenge is getting in somewhere though. How do I know if I have a shot at, say, 50th ranked programs? Anybody done something similar? What kind of programs should I be considering with my background?

What was your GPA in your undergrad math classes, e.g. real analysis? I'll assume that they were decent. With a 3.8 GPA in Math from an MS program from a regional comprehensive, some research experience, and strong letters of recommendation, it is very possible to get into some Statistics PhD programs ranked roughly 40-80 in USNWR (I'd actually be confident in that) without doing a second Masters degree.

I would recommend just applying to Statistics PhD programs directly if you're very inclined. The "reach" schools for your profile would likely be schools like University of Minnesota, Texas A&M, Purdue, etc. I know of some folks who have degrees from directional and regional comprehensive universities (e.g. Central Michigan U., Southern Illinois U., etc.), as well as obscure liberal arts colleges who have gotten into schools of that caliber (though I would still consider TAMU, UMN, Purdue "reaches" and would recommend you focus attention on schools in the range of 40-80 of USNWR rankings).  

*ETA:  This is assuming that the OP is a domestic applicant. For domestic applicants to Statistics PhD programs, many programs below the most "elite" schools seem to be okay with admitting students from regional comprehensives. This is not the case for international students, who would have to aim a lot lower for PhD (USNWR 60 and lower) or obtain a Masters degree in Stat/Math at a more "reputable" school first in order to be competitive.

Edited by Stat Assistant Professor

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! This is helpful. Yeah, the postbac classes I took were all As, and I'm a domestic applicant.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the UT Austin? Seems like a great program and my guess is that it'd be a reach as well despite its ranking (currently 50).