Graduate Program in IR vs INTL MBA (Cross-Post)

Hey.

First off, this board has been a wonderful find. I've spent probably more time than I should have in the last few days perusing through it.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on graduate programs specifically centered on the IR half of international business relationship management and/or negotiations.

I've looked at top MBA programs (too finance/strategy based) and top IR programs (too policy/diplomacy based).

In the long term, I want to serve as an intermediary between western and east Asian firms (Korean & Japanese), helping to smooth cultural or language barriers

More specifically I am thinking of specializing further into the IT/Technology sector.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions if it might help.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

• 4 months later...

So I saw your question and I thought I would give a quick response...I think you should look into either a career in HR which gives you a lot of opportunity to use the things you seem to be looking for. I'm currently a Masters student at Cornell doing the Master of Industrial and Labor Relations (MILR) program at Cornell and and finding it to be very engaging, and the career prospects to be very good. If you don't think that's for you Cornell also has a really good mediator program that seems like it would be right down your ally as well. This link http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/conflictRes/about/ gives more information about it. It's a very interesting field to be in.

Regards,

I keep hearing that Thunderbird has a good Int'l MBA program (although I still think their name is a little ridiculous). Otherwise, I think true IR programs are more likely to focus on the theory of IR rather than practicing international business. You may be better suited by looking at more International Affairs programs instead of IR.