Grad school vs. Potential Unemployment

once

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new here (been lurking quite a bit last semester, but I forgot my username- doh) and was wondering if I could get some advice/opinions.

I'm going to be graduating next May from a state university with a BA in Art History and English as well as a certificate in Historic Preservation. By the time I graduate, I will have completed my honors thesis on a topic in the field of architectural history, an internship where I will be directly dealing with section 106 and national register nominations, and a leadership position in a summer field school in preservation. I feel pretty qualified to be out in the working world and have been planning on getting a job after graduation. However, after looking around at some job listings and watching several of my art history friends struggle to find a job, I'm getting more and more unsure of myself. I know that I want to go to graduate school after taking a year or two off, but if I can't find a job in my field then that year will be wasted.

So, my question: due to the current state of the economy, would it be more advisable to go straight from my undergraduate to an MA in historic preservation or architectural history? I'm hoping to decide relatively soon since I know that my year is going to be very busy and I'll have ample time to get my applications in order this summer.

Thanks so much for your help!