Graduate Psychology Programs?

I_Wonder

Hello!

I am a rising senior at a tier 1 university, and am looking into graduate psychology programs. Unfortunately, my stats aren't the best (3.0 GPA), but that won't deter me from pursuing even higher education. I hope to get a PHD in psychology.

As I am resigned to the fact that the top schools are out of my reach (and thats okay!), I was wondering about other good schools. I've seen the US NEWS ranking of programs, but I was wondering about any personal experience in non-tier 1 schools some of you may have. Also, I've always wanted to move to Louisiana (odd, I know), and I know LSU has a PHD program, but I couldn't find it in the Top 100 schools in any ranking. Is that a pretty bad sign? Is it even worth it to go to a school that isn't recognized in the Top 100 of a field (on numerous different ranking systems). Is that just throwing money down the toilet? What is the meaning of life? (kidding about the last one, but everything else I am genuinely serious about)

Thanks for the help!

Have you decided on a field of psychology (clinical, counseling, social, developmental, cognitive, etc.)? That would help anyone who might give advice.

Ah yes, that would be helpful ;)

School psychology or developmental psychology (focusing on children/adolescent).

Thanks for the tip in clarification!

Have you decided on a field of psychology (clinical, counseling, social, developmental, cognitive, etc.)? That would help anyone who might give advice.

Ah yes, that would be helpful ;)

I'm looking into school psychology, or developmental psychology (for children/adolescents).

Thanks for the tip of clarification!

PS-

I know a lot of people say rankings don't really matter, but don't they kind of do? When I look at the faculty bios at top, 2nd tier, and a lot of 3rd tier (sorry for using the tier thing; its the best descriptor I can think of) universities, they all have degrees from big name/reputable places. Should I even bother? I know its all about the work you do, but doesn't it put you at a huge disadvantage when trying to get jobs?

LSU is a tier 1 university. Another good university in Louisiana is Tulane. As for non-tier 1 universities in louisiana you have University of New Orleans, UL-Lafeyette. If Louisiana is where you want I would apply to three with tulane and LSU being two so you will get into at least one.