Optional Video Essay

In my essay, I'm just going to quickly introduce myself for five seconds then share a quick anecdote and the value that I want to bring to Sanford. I'm using my phone's camera and its just me sitting in my living room. You don't have to make some fancy edited video like some I've seen, just share something that's not in your resume and personal statement. Their biggest suggestion is that you do not act mechanical, and that you don't read off a script. Look at videos examples of past applicants on youtube to see what mistakes you want to avoid. In one example, I can obviously tell one applicant is just trying to read off something. 

Imagine yourself trying to squeeze in a script you wrote about your elevator pitch and laundry list of accomplishments in your resume, vs what you would sound like if you were talking to a couple recruiters at some mixer about a neat story. The latter would sound much better. Sound as natural as possible. 

6 hours ago, Spoonforkknife said:

In my essay, I'm just going to quickly introduce myself for five seconds then share a quick anecdote and the value that I want to bring to Sanford. I'm using my phone's camera and its just me sitting in my living room. You don't have to make some fancy edited video like some I've seen, just share something that's not in your resume and personal statement. Their biggest suggestion is that you do not act mechanical, and that you don't read off a script. Look at videos examples of past applicants on youtube to see what mistakes you want to avoid. In one example, I can obviously tell one applicant is just trying to read off something. 

Imagine yourself trying to squeeze in a script you wrote about your elevator pitch and laundry list of accomplishments in your resume, vs what you would sound like if you were talking to a couple recruiters at some mixer about a neat story. The latter would sound much better. Sound as natural as possible. 

Appreciate the response (and good luck with your application!). What you described is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Why would I summarize my SOP or recap my resume when I can humanize the entire package? I think I'm psyching myself out after spending far too long watching others' videos on Youtube. 

1 minute ago, ShowBellsandWhistles said:

Appreciate the response (and good luck with your application!). What you described is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Why would I summarize my SOP or recap my resume when I can humanize the entire package? I think I'm psyching myself out after spending far too long watching others' videos on Youtube. 

I'm still in the middle of my sanford essays right now. I personally wasn't too impressed some of theirs. Too much bragging about resume items and nothing about their personality. You could talk about the bowl of macaroni and cheese you had for dinner and how it relates to your love of community. And as long as that shows your emotions and personality (and answers the prompt), it would be scores more effective than their format. Good luck to you too. 

6 hours ago, Emiliarose said:

Video essay is a new and modern way of presenting information that I really like. Especially if someone, like me, does not like to write or does not know how to do it beautifully. In college [link] helped me out. And now for me the best way to present information, of course, will be a video essay format.

Bragging about buying essays when people on this forum are stressing about being able to get in to grad schools after putting an immense amount of effort and time into their own essays is real poor form. The first paragraph on your linked site says this for Christ’s sake, “There is no better news for a student than to hear that you’ll take over their papers while they go to a party or have a night to fully rest.”

At the very least don’t advertise for them on this forum by using a link to their site.

Edited by PedroTheNoun