Applying Round 2

phdhopeful473

Hello,

Unfortunately I did not get accepted into any programs this year. However, I was waitlisted at one school and another told me that they wanted to take me but couldn't due to lack of funding. These are my top 2 choices. Is it unusual to apply to a school again if you've been rejected in the past? I would really love to go to one of these two schools. I feel that I was close to getting in and in the next year could gain work or research experience so that I am a better candidate. What do you think?

Hello,

Unfortunately I did not get accepted into any programs this year. However, I was waitlisted at one school and another told me that they wanted to take me but couldn't due to lack of funding. These are my top 2 choices. Is it unusual to apply to a school again if you've been rejected in the past? I would really love to go to one of these two schools. I feel that I was close to getting in and in the next year could gain work or research experience so that I am a better candidate. What do you think?

As so many people on this forum have pointed out, the grad school application process depends on so many different factors that you have no control over (funding, your PA's sabbatical timetable, his/her current students, his/her status within the department, popularity of your proposed topic that year, etc.). Given your overall positive responses from these schools, you could easily be accepted by both schools next year with full funding. Or you could be rejected across the board again due to funding issues. There are unfortunately no guarantees, no reach, fit, and safety schools in the grad school application process, I feel. It's 1/3 skill, 2/3 luck.

Still, if it's something you really want, I would take the time to apply again. From your response it sounds like you were almost in both schools. To me, that gives you good odds that at least one of these programs will take you next year. But again, there are no guarantees. Is the stress of the application worth it to you? If it is, then I say go for it!