Post-bac computer science classes / master's

asdfman123

I went to Stanford and majored in chemistry, but dealt with a major depressive episode and burnout and graduated with a 2.7 GPA. I really enjoy CS, though, so I want to try to get a master's degree in it. I only took 3 programming courses in college, so I'm thinking about taking some post-bac CS courses at a local university to be able to apply and prove that I can get good grades. Do you think I should try to take them at a well-regarded local private school or a less expensive school nearby? Also, what sorts of things should I do in order to improve my admission chances? And most importantly, do you think this is a plausible, reasonable arrangement?

I'm going to assume you're in the Bay Area since you mentioned Stanford. I have a friend who did something like that. She graduated from UC Berkeley in some science major and then went to SJSU to get a MS in CS. She later realized that it was a lot tougher to do all that and she only received her BS in CS. What schools were you considering to take classes at?

You can go straight for a MS in CS, but then you are required to take the CS GRE since you did not graduate with a BS in CS. The test is basically comprised of all the topics you would have learned in a CS program (algorithms and data structures, computer architecture, operating systems, etc.).

Edited by joro

I'm going to assume you're in the Bay Area since you mentioned Stanford. I have a friend who did something like that. She graduated from UC Berkeley in some science major and then went to SJSU to get a MS in CS. She later realized that it was a lot tougher to do all that and she only received her BS in CS. What schools were you considering to take classes at?

You can go straight for a MS in CS, but then you are required to take the CS GRE since you did not graduate with a BS in CS. The test is basically comprised of all the topics you would have learned in a CS program (algorithms and data structures, computer architecture, operating systems, etc.).

Nope, I'm back at home in Texas. I was thinking about taking classes at the University of Houston. I should probably actually do the classes, though, because I need to get top grades and forge relationships with professors. But it's great to hear that other people have gone down that route. Do you think it's possible to get into a top CS MS program if I do everything right?

It's really hard to say if you can get into a top CS program. Other than just taking a few CS classes and doing well in them, what else will you have?

What's the goal here though? If you're interested in jobs related to CS, then why not focus on a BS in CS first? I know of a number of companies who would happily hire you with a BS and pay for a part time (and in some cases, full time) MS degree in CS.

Also, the CS GRE (unless was updated very recently) is: dated, does not cover all the topics you should know about in depth, focuses on things that do not help in the general proficiency in the field. As such, a number of schools don't care about it (unless you have no CS background, since then it's impossible to evaluate you).

Personally, I would pursue a BS, then look for a job that pays for part time school expenses and do a part time MS if you really want to do it.

If you want to pursue a PhD, then it's a whole different story and I'd go about it a whole different way, but it sounds like you're more interested in the professional degree.

What's the goal here though? If you're interested in jobs related to CS, then why not focus on a BS in CS first? I know of a number of companies who would happily hire you with a BS and pay for a part time (and in some cases, full time) MS degree in CS.

Also, the CS GRE (unless was updated very recently) is: dated, does not cover all the topics you should know about in depth, focuses on things that do not help in the general proficiency in the field. As such, a number of schools don't care about it (unless you have no CS background, since then it's impossible to evaluate you).

Personally, I would pursue a BS, then look for a job that pays for part time school expenses and do a part time MS if you really want to do it.

If you want to pursue a PhD, then it's a whole different story and I'd go about it a whole different way, but it sounds like you're more interested in the professional degree.

I'm interested in a professional degree for now, and then maybe I'll consider getting a PhD. People have said I should consider a BS, but what if I just take all the required CS classes without getting a BS? That is, assuming I can't get a degree without taking other unnecessary classes...

Well, the two paths are really different (PhD vs professional). Either way, I would look at the BS requirements and if they're not that overwhelming, just do the BS and be on good footing for jobs, as well as schools.