Notre Dame: new M.A. program in Classics

Bill Lumberg

This just in: I met in person with a Notre Dame Classics professor earlier this week, and the person told me that Notre Dame will be starting an MA program in Classics in the fall of 2011. Their Classics faculty seem fairly reputable, and they have some particularly well-known scholars such as Sabine MacCormack. The department also seems strong for those interested in studying Late Antiquity.

• 4 weeks later...

This just in: I met in person with a Notre Dame Classics professor earlier this week, and the person told me that Notre Dame will be starting an MA program in Classics in the fall of 2011. Their Classics faculty seem fairly reputable, and they have some particularly well-known scholars such as Sabine MacCormack. The department also seems strong for those interested in studying Late Antiquity.

this is very intersting, as i am interested in pursuing an ma/ph.d in classics/ late antique history, and my fiancee is interested in their comp lit grad program. do you have any additional information?

this is very intersting, as i am interested in pursuing an ma/ph.d in classics/ late antique history, and my fiancee is interested in their comp lit grad program. do you have any additional information?

They're only going to offer an MA starting in 2011. I'm not sure when/if they will ever offer a Ph.D. The website is classics.nd.edu, which does not list the MA in Classics yet. I would check with that and perhaps email the DGS.

• 6 months later...

If anyone is interested in the MA in Classics, feel free to message me. I'm in Early Christian Studies, which is run through the Classics dept (along with Theology). There will always be good Patristics courses offered as well as late ancient stuff. This semester I'm taking a course on Thucydides (a pretty standard Classics course) as well as a course on Cicero, Augustine, and Rhetoric (where else are you going to get that?!). It's really a great program with fantastic professors.