What film prog to choose! Help

finalcountdown

Hi,

Here's a brief background about me: I am a journalist with 4 years' experience. Completed my masters in development communication in India and have a bachelors degree in commerce (accounting). I have an inclination towards film history, criticism and research, with Bollywood (Indian film industry) as a primary focus.

Interests: I DONOT want to be in film production or direction. Would prefer teaching, pre-production or script writing opportunities.

I am very confused whether to do a PhD or MA in film history. My confusion stems from the following information gathered from interactions with myriad people in the field:

!) PhD degree in the US is very extremely academical and takes very long to finish (5-7 years). MA is faster (2 years) and has a healthy mix of academics and practical knowledge.

2) PhD is for intellectuals and is considered a superior qualification. Many people with PhD in films don't get jobs because they are overqualified. They are not accepted for work with production houses or film festivals. Basically, your options are narrowed down to teaching and writing books. And even getting a teaching job is very tough these days.

3) More scholarships/waivers for PhD students, rather than MA.

4) MA in film archiving/preservation is a new and upcoming course. There are many job oppportunities for curators at production houses.

5) I haven't really studied film in detail. It was a very small component in my masters course. Hence I should do MA instead of jumping headlong into PhD.

6) Jobs after PhD are not just few and far between but they pay peanuts.

7) I am considering applying to NYU, USC, Iowa, Florida state. But my preference is NYU. Should I rather focus on other unis because the cost of living is very high in NY, or will I be able to make up for it during/after course.

I will be giving my GRE next month and am planning to apply for Fall 2011 intake. Help !! :(

• 2 months later...

Hi,

It seems you have penned down my queries. Did you get an answer for it yet? And what were you told? Let me know as well please. and what are you doing about the writing sample? Submitting one with Indian cinema as the subject ?

Hi,

Here's a brief background about me: I am a journalist with 4 years' experience. Completed my masters in development communication in India and have a bachelors degree in commerce (accounting). I have an inclination towards film history, criticism and research, with Bollywood (Indian film industry) as a primary focus.

Interests: I DONOT want to be in film production or direction. Would prefer teaching, pre-production or script writing opportunities.

I am very confused whether to do a PhD or MA in film history. My confusion stems from the following information gathered from interactions with myriad people in the field:

!) PhD degree in the US is very extremely academical and takes very long to finish (5-7 years). MA is faster (2 years) and has a healthy mix of academics and practical knowledge.

2) PhD is for intellectuals and is considered a superior qualification. Many people with PhD in films don't get jobs because they are overqualified. They are not accepted for work with production houses or film festivals. Basically, your options are narrowed down to teaching and writing books. And even getting a teaching job is very tough these days.

3) More scholarships/waivers for PhD students, rather than MA.

4) MA in film archiving/preservation is a new and upcoming course. There are many job oppportunities for curators at production houses.

5) I haven't really studied film in detail. It was a very small component in my masters course. Hence I should do MA instead of jumping headlong into PhD.

6) Jobs after PhD are not just few and far between but they pay peanuts.

7) I am considering applying to NYU, USC, Iowa, Florida state. But my preference is NYU. Should I rather focus on other unis because the cost of living is very high in NY, or will I be able to make up for it during/after course.

I will be giving my GRE next month and am planning to apply for Fall 2011 intake. Help !! :(

Hi squash_3in,

I've been continuously seeking answers to these questions by interacting with profs and PhD students. Like they say frequently in this forum, you never really know until your application is rejected or accepted. So, i'm keeping my fingers crossed and taking the plunge for PhD. At this point, I dont want to do another master's course.

There are some good film and media studies courses, which should give me the best of both worlds. Yes, my writing sample is about the Indian cinema.

What are your research interests..