Another "What are my chances?" post

schaefk

Alright,so we all need a little reassurance from time to time, and I am also lookingfor some good ideas on how to boost my resume. I want to apply for clinical programs that have a focus on neuroimaging, schizophrenia, and/or genetics. Here are my stats:

Attended a small liberal arts university. GPA: (overall/major) 3.72/3.35 (with my last 2semesters being 4.0) had additional major in Theater Arts: Performing emphasis.

GRE:1270 (V550/Q720); Psych 650

Experience:little research experience with professors from my university, about 6 months research with larger state university using fMRI and imaging software in depression lab

Full time CRA position with pharmaceutical research company working with psychiatric disorders (mainly schizophrenia) for past 6 months

9 months interning with State Hospital with chronic schizophrenia and degenerative disorder populations.

I can get good rec letters from people that I have worked with, but few from any of my undergrad professors. (I wasn't really devoted to this until the end of my Sophomore year)

So my question is what can I do to stand out more. I know my scores and GPA are not amazing and I have applied two previous times, but with little expectation and success.

I only graduated last year so I am still young, but let me know what you think, or if you have suggestions of any programs to look into.

Thanks

I think it is worth applying. You fit the bill to get in to a program somewhere. I'll be honest since you are asking for that- I don't think you'll get into a top program unless you had more research experience. However, that is like a lot of people, maybe even myself. Just make sure your interests fit with programs you apply to and play the most appropriate hand possible. In a down economy I don't consider it a time to apply whimsically to programs you might be interested in for fun because the money just isn't there for schools.

You'll be fine.

Alright,so we all need a little reassurance from time to time, and I am also lookingfor some good ideas on how to boost my resume. I want to apply for clinical programs that have a focus on neuroimaging, schizophrenia, and/or genetics. Here are my stats:

Attended a small liberal arts university. GPA: (overall/major) 3.72/3.35 (with my last 2semesters being 4.0) had additional major in Theater Arts: Performing emphasis.

GRE:1270 (V550/Q720); Psych 650

Experience:little research experience with professors from my university, about 6 months research with larger state university using fMRI and imaging software in depression lab

Full time CRA position with pharmaceutical research company working with psychiatric disorders (mainly schizophrenia) for past 6 months

9 months interning with State Hospital with chronic schizophrenia and degenerative disorder populations.

I can get good rec letters from people that I have worked with, but few from any of my undergrad professors. (I wasn't really devoted to this until the end of my Sophomore year)

So my question is what can I do to stand out more. I know my scores and GPA are not amazing and I have applied two previous times, but with little expectation and success.

I only graduated last year so I am still young, but let me know what you think, or if you have suggestions of any programs to look into.

Thanks