Inexpensive MFA in NYC

bowerbird

I am already deep in debt from my undergraduate degree.

What schools in NYC offer the lowest tuition/ best financial aid while having a competitive painting MFA program? Hunter obviously, but has anyone heard anything good/bad about Queens College, Brooklyn College, or City College? Are there other options I am not mentioning?

Also, are there any hidden gems across the country that are inexpensive/free? I'd prefer a program in a larger city, though am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Northwestern in Chicago, also I think University of Chicago and University of Ilinois at Chicago offer a couple of full-funded scholarships.

UC San Diego I have also heard is fully funded.

Had a friend who went to Queens college and is in pretty heavy debt from it.

A general rule of thumb is that public schools (anything like University of _______ or ________ State University) offer full funding while private schools usually do not, but will sometimes offer smaller scholarships from 10K-50% of tuition. Full funding is often part of a T.A. or G.A. position which means you will also be teaching classes and working for the department, which can put a considerable strain on ones time. Many state schools run three year programs for that reason.

Places I know have full-funding: U. Texas Austin, Montclair State University (just outside NYC in Montclair NJ, a cool town on a direct train line), U Mass Amherst, Indiana U. Bloomington, Virginia Commonwealth University, U. Penn, Rutgers U., U of Arizona, U of Michigan Ann Arbor. There are others Im sure...

• 3 months later...

Had a friend who went to Queens college and is in pretty heavy debt from it.

A general rule of thumb is that public schools (anything like University of _______ or ________ State University) offer full funding while private schools usually do not, but will sometimes offer smaller scholarships from 10K-50% of tuition. Full funding is often part of a T.A. or G.A. position which means you will also be teaching classes and working for the department, which can put a considerable strain on ones time. Many state schools run three year programs for that reason.

Places I know have full-funding: U. Texas Austin, Montclair State University (just outside NYC in Montclair NJ, a cool town on a direct train line), U Mass Amherst, Indiana U. Bloomington, Virginia Commonwealth University, U. Penn, Rutgers U., U of Arizona, U of Michigan Ann Arbor. There are others Im sure...

Pretty sure UPenn doesn't offer generous funding...I visited there and they told me that although everyone gets to be a TA, they only give TA's $1500 per semester which really kind of sucks considering the price of an ivy league. PS I see you were accepted to Montclair State, I've never heard of it, I like the sound of a school so close to NYC but not inside of it. Do you know anything else about it? Like how selective it is? I'm applying to Rutgers too but I know they are really selective.