McGill

Hey everyone:

I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on McGill itself and its Political Science department. Is this a well-respected school abroad, especially in the United States? Also, does anyone know when we will be notified of decisions. Thanks.

Subfield: IR

(bump) anyone?

McGill itself is well respected in the Northeast US. My old roommate did an MA in history at McGill and was able to get into a great PhD program in the US, specifically in New England. Can't comment specifically on their poli sci dept, though. I would say McGill might not be as well known in other parts of the US- but that is just a guess.

Hey everyone:

I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on McGill itself and its Political Science department. Is this a well-respected school abroad, especially in the United States? Also, does anyone know when we will be notified of decisions. Thanks.

Subfield: IR

In IR I have no clue about McGill. For a long time (in the 1950s-80s) McGill was considered the, I quote, "Harvard of Canada." Even then this, I think, more an insult to Canada than a compliment to McGill. But the point was that McGill was a elite top school. Today, this is no longer the case. U of Toronto has, for at least 10 years now, been far and away the best school in Canada, the best school for science, the best political science grad program by far, has the best medical school, and the best law school. It is a large public university, so some students prefer other schools in Canada. And really smart students still like to go to McGill (undergrads, I mean).

But as a general matter of reputation, McGill is not all that high and you better really carefully consider their placement rate (which I don't know much about). Also, you should know that McGill may place some Canadian grads in Canadian schools. Canadian schools still have a slight bent towards hiring Canadian citizens as professors. So be sure to factor this in.

McGill has some interesting people in political theory. Other than that, I don't know of its IR program. What is more serious, perhaps, is that, as a Canadian and a graduate of the University of Toronto, I have never once heard McGill touted as a place to study IR, ever.

Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to decide between an MA in IR at Toronto and McGill Political Science. I have the intention of going on to do a doctorate in the United States and I have heard repeatedly that McGill would be a better spring board into the US than Toronto because of its closer connections to American academia. This question is not about job placement (per se), it's about having a better shot at Top 10 PhD programs in the United States.

Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to decide between an MA in IR at Toronto and McGill Political Science. I have the intention of going on to do a doctorate in the United States and I have heard repeatedly that McGill would be a better spring board into the US than Toronto because of its closer connections to American academia. This question is not about job placement (per se), it's about having a better shot at Top 10 PhD programs in the United States.

Then: Toronto is without doubt the better option.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also curious about the reputation of McGill vs. that of U of T in the U.S., though I'm transferring to one or the other for my 2nd year in undergrad. Basically, I have my heart set on getting into a good U.S. PhD program after I'm done my B.A. I'll obviously be at a disadvantage compared to applicants with an M.A. (not to mention the difficulty of getting in in the first place) under their belt, so I'm hoping to do any little thing it takes to improve my chances. Does U of T definitely have a better reputation down South? It seems to have better possibilities for well-known referees after a very preliminary investigation of the two departments. At the moment I am leaning towards Comparative Politics/Political Economy, if that factors in to the equation.

Well, this is likely not hugely helpful, and you may have already decided or something, CanadianUndergrad, but consider this: When talking to my department and some political science people about applying to Canadian schools, they seemed to think my University of Toronto application was a good idea, and none of them had even heard of McGill when I brought it up.

My experience is from a school near Chicago, though, so quite definitely outside McGill's "American range" as stated earlier in the thread, so take that however you feel as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, that's good info to know. I accepted at U of T, but since I'm moving with my girlfriend there's always the chance she might not get into the music programs she's aiming for. Does anyone know how the University of Alberta is viewed? Unfortunately, jazz programs aren't everywhere, so it's kind of hard to stay together and still go to decent schools.