USC vs WashU Physics PhD

athena13

Hello! I received acceptance from both of these programs (within 30 mins of each other lol) and needed some advice as to what would be better. In terms of stipend they are pretty much the same after adjusting for cost of living. I'm an international student but I got my Bachelor's from UCLA. So, I am very familiar with life in LA and California. I have been in contact with potential PI from both schools and they have been equally helpful and the projects are quite similar. Please drop your suggestions!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 4:21 PM, athena13 said:

Hello! I received acceptance from both of these programs (within 30 mins of each other lol) and needed some advice as to what would be better. In terms of stipend they are pretty much the same after adjusting for cost of living. I'm an international student but I got my Bachelor's from UCLA. So, I am very familiar with life in LA and California. I have been in contact with potential PI from both schools and they have been equally helpful and the projects are quite similar. Please drop your suggestions!!

First, congratulations on being accepted into USC and WashU. Both are fantastic schools. Since you already have knowledge of Los Angeles, I'd start by asking the following: are you looking for the next few years to be in the same city or are you looking for a change? If you're looking for a change, I'd recommend starting with the St. Louis, MO thread in the City Forums here. I'd also recommend reaching out to current students to see what it's like working with specific professors.

Lastly, since you've been accepted to WashU, the following links might be helpful: 

https://gradstudies.artsci.wustl.edu/news/office-graduate-studies-launches
https://strategicplan.artsci.wustl.edu

It seems like a lot of change is coming soon.