Summer reading for Grad School?

Butehorn

In the Fall of 2010, I will be attending Brooklyn College and will be studying Early American History. It will be my first semester as a grad student. So I present a question to former grad students or present grad students. Should I email my two professors and ask them if there are certain monographs I should be reading before the semester starts? Thanks for the future answers.

If you like reading books a lot, sure, go read 'em...what could it hurt? However, I think you are pretty safe to just relax and enjoy the summer if you happen the type that enjoys having a life. I doubt anyone from your department will expect you to read before starting your first year.

I got some journal articles from the faculty I'll be working with my first year. I've gone through some of them but just barely. I figure this is my final free Summer and I dont want to start stressing before its necessary. However once in a while panic sets in and I wonder if I'm the only one in my cohort taking it easy this Summer blink.gif